Internet and TV

What will be a good home internet ISP and Cable TV in Jakarta?

The TV must provide EPL Soccer channels

Thanks.

Plenty of mobile and cable internet services, my preferred one being bolt's unlimited package.
I bought the modem/router and paid 12 months in advance so I can just forget about any messing about.
Plenty of cable suppliers to go at depending on where you live.
The neighbours will tell you what's available in your street but that may or may not have the football.

If in a tower you may get free cable but you may to pay for the premier league. Bein sport, ESPN or Fox sports are the key cable channels. You need to ask the building management what you can have.

Bein sport is best.

For internet the same applies in the appartment but it might be throttled due to the users so you will have to pay more to get a better speed. When I say a better speed 10 to 20 mps. Don't go thinking broadband here is the same broadband at home.

My office often doesn't have internet if it rains. Wifi speeds go from 0 to 5mps on a good day so downloading can take longer. However chrome cast and Netflix both work here.

Thanks Luke,

I was looking at the Indovision website. They mentioned 150mbps internet and EPL availability as well.

Wonder how true is that.

Don't mind paying a bit more for this.

That's upto 150mbps and I am not sure if it's through a phone provider.

As I said you need to check with the tower management if you are moving into an apartment what service they provide as it may be slightly different.

Ok thanks.

We had recently installed new services for Internet and Cable TV at our place in South Jakarta. Amongst the candidates evaluated were:
•    Biznet
•    FirstMedia
•    Indovision
•    MNC Play
•    Indihome
•    Nexmedia
There are pros and cons to each. Generally, you get what you pay for. Important to note is that not all providers have services in your area. Nonetheless, some providers are willing to pull their cables to your place (at a fee, of course). So check with them. For EPL Soccer, you need to check the provider's channel listing.

Anyway, we opted for lower cost: Biznet. We now regret having chosen Biznet because there is not a month where we did not encounter an issue with them – outages that can go for more than a day and billing issues that lasts for weeks.

We ended up adding Nexmedia as backup. Nexmedia is more reliable but it uses traditional outdoors antenna so image quality is relatively lower and it does not include Internet. Why not the other's as backup? It's because we opted for lower cost. Why we didn't switch providers? Cost to switch is high, we need to let the current one run it's course for a bit before switching.

So for internet backup, we looked at portable internet service providers. Candidates were:
•    Telkom
•    Bolt
•    Smartfren
•    Indosat
I found that unlike home Internet and Cable TV services, portable internet service pricing is more-or-less the same. It's the coverage that gives one the edge over another – so check their coverage map. There are other candidates we didn't look into and I encourage you to include them in your evaluation: XL, 3, and maybe some other. Why we didn't look into these? Already too much being evaluated.

We chose Smartfren because it has better coverage and the device was cheaper. We did try Bolt, but Bolt had very limited coverage compared to Telkom and Smartfren. Telkom had most expensive device compare to Bolt and Smartfren.  Indosat actually has good coverage, but for some reason there was no signal at our place. Btw, I watch Netflix and Amazon with Smartfren in HD. Not sure if they don't charge or what, but my quota is still intact even after watching a dozen plus movies.

Hope this helps and good luck finding the right Internet and Cable TV provider.

Thanks friend, good info,

We had recently installed new services for Internet and Cable TV at our place in South Jakarta. Amongst the candidates evaluated were:
•    Biznet
•    FirstMedia
•    Indovision
•    MNC Play
•    Indihome
•    Nexmedia
There are pros and cons to each. Generally, you get what you pay for. Important to note is that not all providers have services in your area. Nonetheless, some providers are willing to pull their cables to your place (at a fee, of course). So check with them. For EPL Soccer, you need to check the provider's channel listing.

Now in your evaluation which will you choose if you take costs out of the equation (just to have a baseline)?

Have to check the coverage when I am there next month. Of course having fibre will be best.

Btw I can use my current Netflix subscription in Indonesia right?

Thanks again.

After going through the list I think MNC Play looks ok.

I probably shouldn't recommend one for you since I don't knowing your area, whether or not the provider has services in your area, or if they have EPL Soccer channel.  You should perform a due diligence based on your weighted selection criteria across a candidate list -- there may be more candidates that didn't make it to my list because I am currently unaware of them, so include them too.

I can, however, say that you should avoid Biznet at all cost.  We are having an outage again right this very moment!  (Yes, sending this reply with the backup internet).  There is nothing nice I can say about them and I wish no one to have our frustrating experience with Biznet.

And... Yes, my US-based Netflix account works fine in Indonesia (and Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, UK and Germany if that matters) although the movies listed are slightly different for each country.