NRI status for Indian if I have resident visa in Bahrain

Hi,

Hope all you are doing good.

I got a job offer in Bahrain. I can't move to Bahrain because of my family. But my employer is saying that you can stay in Bahrain for 2 months and get resident visa and CPR. And then I can move to India and work from India. In this situation did I get NRI status in India as I m staying in India?

And also , my employer said that you will get NRI Account in india. So that no need to pay taxes in India.

As per rules of Indian  Immigration , a person is considered NRI or Non-Resident Indian status only when he / she has resided outside Indian territory for a period of 182 days or more continuously.

In your situation, if you stay in Bahrain for only two months i.e. 60 days, it will not be enough to consider you as NRI for Tax Purposes under Government of India. Please check this link for more information : http://www.incometaxindia.gov.in/Pages/ … ndian.aspx

Moreover having a Bahraini resident visa only means that you are allowed to live legally in Kingdom of Bahrain for the period of time mentioned in the visa; it does not necessarily mean that you have actually stayed in Bahrain for that period of time. Please remember that you entry and exit from India is recorded by Indian Immigration ( those people who stamp your passport when you come in or go out of India).

I hope this was helpful.

Thanks alot for your reply.

But one of bank in Bahrain is going to give NRI account. So, If I have NRI account and salary is credited in that account. IN this case did I pay tax in India as income is coming to NRI account?

Mahi11 wrote:

Thanks alot for your reply.

But one of bank in Bahrain is going to give NRI account. So, If I have NRI account and salary is credited in that account. IN this case did I pay tax in India as income is coming to NRI account?

State Bank of India can do that for you. But that account will be opened in India, SBI-Bahrain will only process your papers. For tax purposes what I said earlier holds true and please check Income Tax India website for further details.

Got it. Thanks for clarification.

So If I will stay in India more 182 days then I will be resident of India and I have to pay tax. There is not other way to skip tax right?