Little report about Phuket + cost of living

I m living here since 1 week with my girlfriend.
We ll stay here for other 3 weeks then we ll move to Bali for 2 weeks and then we ll go to live in Mauritius.
We are italians but we come from Australia, Byron bay where we lived during the last 8 months.
There are ppl that live here in Phuket since a lot of time that know this island much better then us but i can talk about our first impressions.
We did somethig like 400 km during the last week. We live in chalong and we went to have a look to all the west coast up to patong and to phuket city.
We are living in Mandalay Palms appartments that are simply perfect. I think i ll never have a so lovely appartment in my future ; ( lol
This is our first trip to Thai..
We have chosen chalong area before landing here because checking online looked like a nice position, just in the middle between the beaches and the town..
Plus considering there is the main buddist temple in the island i had an odd idea to find a really quiete place.
My girlfriend is a pilates teacher and a ballet dancer.  we have found online a pilates studio with machines and a dance school in chalong.
So, really looked like a perfect place for us.
We are trying to live like thai ppl. We are always eating thai food from local vendors and buying all our stuff in local markets skipping the european supermarkets
Now, here what we have found:

-First of all we are still shocked about the almost total absence of sidewalks. You CANNOT walk almost everywere. It s something i cant really understand. I was thinking about walking around with my loved gf in a quiete area going to temples and parks etc. The true is  different story.

-The temple is really small. It s a sort of room. Maybe we missed the entrance but what we have seen is a 4x4 meters temple. The monks smok cigarettes. I didnt know about that ;D

- the ppl are friendly but not that friendly. Probably the real thai ppl are in other places. there is too much turism and moneys are a pain for everyone.  Anyway, some of em are really sweet. Sweeter then most of the australian ppl we have meet during the las 8 months.
Some of em are truly lovely. With a genuine smile and warm your heart.

- The beaches are good. Not that good.. Compared to australia they are average but still good. The water is clean, not excellent. The coral reef is just bad. There are quiete good fishes but almost 0 living corals. I m really disappointed about the sea. It s just a pool. Luckly we have found some really small but still funny waves in Karon beach yesterday. There were 2 locals surfing ;D
We had a tour to Racha yai we found it really awesome. Best sand i have ever found in my life. I spent several minutes playng with it like a baby. the water was perfectly clean but the corals were dead there too.
Nice fishes, no Bigs. I m not quiete sure but looks like there are no Bigs here. I ll go to have a look at similian islands soon but anyway near here there aren t.. No dolphins, no sharks, no mantas. Quiete boring.

-Cape Phromthep is good. Best place i have found so far. We can walk there ;D. Don t forget this pont if you think to visit Phuket, you cannot walk around, you have to rent a scooter.
Anyway, there is a really nice view from there, i made a video and i ll post it as soon as i ll update it oline.
I need a cable connection, i m using wifi here in the appartment.

- There are westernized shopping centers here that are really really nice looking but the prices are alost identical to europe and sometimes higher. Why should i come here and live as an european? I can understand that if you have a really good income you could live your luxury life renting a super nice house, buying western food, and still getting really cheap thai stuffs such as massages, dental services etc but it s someing i think it s not worth. Best thing here are Thai ppl. Period. You have to live em and not only use em.

-Before coming here i was expecting much more animals. I trul love animals, they are my main passion..
There are no animals here. Few kind of birds, some elephant around(they use em to make little tours on the hills), as i said not a great marine life. No monkeys. I have found big varans in Racha Yhai. A lot of cats, looks like they love em. Wild dogs almost everywere. In the middle of the street too ;D
That s all.

-Fuck, i knew about pedophiles, i though i was prepared but jesus! it is just too much for me..What a shame. What a fuckng shame. I hae to control myself or i ll start to kick asses around. I was having a dinner with my girlfriend and in a table in front of us sit an european man, 35yo or so with a thai girl. Belive me, she was like 12yo. Shocking. What should i do? I think it s a shame for thai men. they cant really stop it. Moneys buy everything.

Cost of living:

Locals market

Pineapple 0.33 $ each.
Mangos 1,40 $ per kilo
Watermelon 0.70 $ kilo
Drinking coconut 0.60 $ each
Fresh fishes between 1,50/4 $ kilo.
Chicken breast 3,50 $ kilo
Carrots 1,30 $ kilo

Housing:
I rented an appartment in Chalong, Mandalay Palms, for 35000 baths per month. Renting it an year will cost 30000 per month.

Dental clinic:
Theeth whitening 280 $
Theeth cleanng 28 $ baths.

Buy a new sim card 1,60 $

Gasoline almost 1,30 $ litre. There are few petroil stations plus a lot of local vendors that sell gasoline in glass bottles. Really cool :)

Pilates lesson 1 hour with machines (reformer) 16$
Ballet class in a really small and ugly room cost 12$

Renting a skooter for 1 month. Really nice 125cc scooters in almost perfect conditions with 2 helmets. 100$

Racha Yai tour 28 $ with a really nice buffet lunch included. Plus hotel pickup and snorkeling mask and snorkel.
Similian islands tour 80 $. Pickup, 2 hours bus, 1 hour and half speed boat, buffet lunch etc included.

I ll edit and i ll post more things in the next days. I feel tired and i have to finish to watch The Social Network. Oh! Pirated DvDs perfectly working cost 1,70$. I have never seen a DvD store around. I think every1 buy dvds from markets..

Very good post AlanMcJ, thanks :)

AlanMcJ wrote:

-Fuck, i knew about pedophiles, i though i was prepared but jesus! it is just too much for me..What a shame. What a fuckng shame. I hae to control myself or i ll start to kick asses around. I was having a dinner with my girlfriend and in a table in front of us sit an european man, 35yo or so with a thai girl. Belive me, she was like 12yo. Shocking. What should i do? I think it s a shame for thai men. they cant really stop it. Moneys buy everything.

She may have looked young, but she was not 12. Your talking a bit of trash.

Not even in Cambodia would a man be out in the open with a 12 (or 13,14,15,16) year old...

Thanks for the post.  As far as the pedophile goes, It may have been his daughter. (or a young looking 22 y/o bar girl)  I live here and have 1/2 Thai son and 100% Thai step-daughter and if some 1 week tourist tried to accuse me of being a pervert he would be the one getting his ass kicked.  Enjoy Thailand but try not to act like you know anything until you have actually lived here.

Well said Pawngotto.
I think Alan is looking at things really superficially, he need much more time living in Thailand. Or maybe some people are just bling to see. There are so many false informations on Alan's post, other simply inaccurate. As an expat in Phuket, I feel I have to reply to this post, which is the simple view of a new comer.
First of all, Chalong is not a quiet area at all, lot of traffic and really polluted, and if you are paying THB 35.000 for an apartment, you must be out of mind. You can rent at least a 2 bedroom pool villa for that price, beleive me.
I don't know which Chalong temple are you talking about, but the Chalong Temple (Wat Chalong) is one of the biggest of South Thailand, it's on the Chao Fa West, grab a map and maybe you will find it, it's not that close to Chalong circle. It will take half a day to visit it all, an amazing example of religious Thai architecture if you know something about it.
Sidewlaks are not really used in Thailand, except in the cities. Too hot to walk under the sun, most of people drive a motorbike. It would be a waste of money. You can find sidewalks in touristy area, where tourist have to walk to buy from the shops.
I find Phuket beaches wonderful, but we are in low season now and they might not look that great. It depends on what sort of beaches are you used too. Longer one like Karon and Kata can be a bit crowded in high season, while in low season can be very dangerous for rip currents. Nai Harn beach is one of the best one, and you can chose also Yanui beach on the left and Aosane on the right. Here you can do teh best snorkeling of Phuket, there are lot of fishes and some corals too. I don't understand why you cannot see them, try to put glasses underwater too :-)Waters here are totally transparent, mainly in high season. From Yanui beach rent a canoe and paddle to the near Poo Island, it'an all rocks islet, great snorkeling. Racha is really great, you can see mantas and sharks here too, depends on the season and also on the skills of the diving instructor. Try also Coral Island for great sand and water, bring some picnic stuff and your snorkeling gear. For better snorkeling and diving you should go on the southern part of the island, where there are ni beaches. From Rawai you can rent a long tail boat and the guy will take you wherever you want if you agree the price in advance. Other nice beaches in Phuket are Surin Beach, laem Singh beach, Layan beach, Nai Yang beach. More isolated beaches are up to Mai Khao, but quite far.
You don't know much about Thai people. they all look noce and friendly, but most of times is only a facade, at least here on Phuket. But not al of them, I don't want to generalize. But it will take too long to talk about it, you should have more direct experience with them, not only weaving and saying 'sawadee khap'.
There are lot of animals in Phuket, I think you have chosen the wrong area to live, as animals hardly walk around cars. If you want to see them,spend some time around Rawai/Nai Harn area, Ao Yon bay, Phuket river, all the south and east coast. Almost every day I look around and I see new species of birds around. Monkeys are not easy to spot, but there are many if you have a tour into the mangrove sea forest and inside Phuket river 9probably not many people know that Phuket has a river and the best way to go there is by canoe or by a flat bottomed boat, join River Rovers tour.
There is a great number of expats in Phuket, and not everyone is keen of Thai food every day. And not everyone has a low budget to spend on food, so western products are always welcome. Yes they are expensive as they are imported, but the success of the island is also thanks to the great services that cater to everyone needs.
Last point about your superficial comment about pedophilia.
Luckily the number of minor age children working in the sex industry is decreased a lot compared to the 80`s, when Thailand was a #1 destination for those pigs. Also the black market for pedophilia is decreased a lot, but of course it still exist, as it exist in the 'modern and civilized' countries (just look at the scandals about catholic priests, we are always too much ready to judge the others, while closing the eyes in our home). In some bars there are still several girls between 14 and 18y old. They are illegal and the bar owner is probably protected by the police. But most of Thai girls looks very young too. Even in our country an 18-19y old girl look like babies to me, but they have 30 and more years old boyfriends. My niece is 16 and her boyfrind is 28, they look happy together, and I'm sure they do lot of sex too. My mother was married at 16 when my father was 28. It's all a matter of your parameter, which might not be the last and only truth.
The truth is that there is lot of prostitution intouristy area like Phuket, Samui, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Bangkok and Chiang Mai. This is a side of Thailand I don't really like, but I also understand that the reason is the totally absence of the government on developing an alternative economy. It is estimated that prostitution is giving job to more than 2 millions persons, including those business related prostitution, hoteliers too. The government doesn't have any intention to find 2 millions alternative jobs, it would be a very hard task. You could blame those people coming to Thailand for prostitutions, long talks to do here too. If you feel you can judge any person's behaviour, than you must feel like God. I personally always try to understand the reason of a certain behaviour and blame the causes of it, not the person itself. Of course everyone has a freedom to choose how to behave and to follow a moral, once again, there is not only one truth. There are many social discomforts in the western countries, I guess Thailand is one of those country where people release their own frustration or satisfy their forbidden dreams, impossible to realize in their own country due to different common morals and rules, most of time repressions of the human being.
I am sure that all those girls would prefer to have a nice looking boyfriend of their age or so instead of 50-70y old man. When they are lucky, they can find a younger boyfriend as the one as you have seen. Very often the man falls in love with the girl (not sure about the girl anyway) and take care of her, even if she's working in the 'industry', and she take care of him. Which can be reasonable, feelings are part of human being. What I really hate are all those people who think to live in a Sodoma and Gomorra place, most of times treating girls as a piece of meat only, with lack of respect for the person, forgetting that they are still human being.
I think you need to stay a bit longer in this place to dicover its beauty and understand all the social mechanisms.
What I can suggest you is to stop looking and judging, while start to talk lot of other people, both Thai and foreigners, preferably expats, to have a full range of point of views, thanyou can summarize them. You will find out that the worls is not only black or white, but full of colours where also 'grey' can be a reasonable nice looking one.
If you are now thinking that I have a young Thai girlfriend and I go to go-go bars every night, you are still judging without knowledge.
I am Italian as you are, I have a lovely Italian girlfriend as we moved togetehr here. We are happy with our choice for the moment, Thailand has many positive aspects, but also negative one. We are enjoying the good one and trying to understand the bad one, and live with them, as we are unable to make big changes.
I hope my view on things can help people to have a real picture of Phuket.