Do companies find accommodation for employees?

I have been offered a job with a company called TATIOMAN. They do not provide accommodation instead they have added an allowance. Normally what is the procedure about finding a room?
(I know different companies do it in different ways; I am asking about the most common way, or the experience you had with your company)
Do the companies find one for us, or are we expected to come there and find it ourselves? I know no one in Oman, and I cannot arrange it before arrival. What is the normal, or the most common way in this situation please?
Any useful advice is highly appreciated.

I am also new to Oman. Less then one week. As far as i know, it all depends on company to company, and later whether you want to accept their offer, or if you can negotiate with them. These days as per my experience, company will only negotiate if they are finding it hard to fill in your position.

I was in exactly the same situation as you are. But I requested my company to provide me an accommodation at least for a week, which they accepted. hence now i am hunting for an accommodation. But at least this saved me from struggling to look for accommodation as soon as i land here.

When are you planning to come? Since we both are in the same boat, if you consider, then we can move into the same apartment, which then will be easy for both of us. i will find an accommodation and you will have one as soon as you land here. i lived in Dubai as well, so if i compare, rent is fairly cheap in Oman. and can get a full apartment for OMR250-300.

I am also new to Oman, so other expats, please correct me if i am wrong.

@alexthomas
Thank you so much for the answer. They still didn't give me a date, but I guess it will be early next month, hopefully, although not sure. It will be great if it works out the way you propose, it will take a big burden off me.
I will contact you for sure when I get confirmation, and if you will be still looking for an apartment we can do that. I can definitely share a good apartment if it works out.