New Zealand's most expensive cities

Hello everyone,

What are the most expensive cities to live in New Zealand? What are the costs of things such as rent, utilities, weekly groceries, dining out, etc.?

What is the lifestyle like in these cities, for expats and locals?

What are the different neighbourhoods like? Are there more affordable areas?

Do you have any experience living in any of New Zealand's most expensive cities? What was it like?

Which cities in New Zealand would you recommend? Are there any that offer particularly good value for money when it comes to cost of living?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/money/201 … omist.html

I believe Auckland...

Here are my findings over a year. High to low based on the following list,

1. Auckland
2. Wellington
3. Queenstown
4. New Plumouth
5. Christchurch
6. Tauranga
7. Hamilton
8. Palmerston North
9. Whangarei
10. Napier / Hastings

There may be others who have a different opinion, however the above is based on the general cost of living in each city .

Queenstown and Auckland by a country mile then probably Wellington. Queenstown is holiday and workers are tourism hospitality related but no cheap accommodation. Auckland and Wellington are work related followed by Hamilton and Christchurch and recently  Tauranga 2.5 hours from Auckland is now getting up there as people like being near the sea and are relocating. They'd rather drive over an hour than sit in Auckland traffic for over an hour. Whangarei also now getting a bit more expensive. Go on trade me properties to check selling and rental prices. Food and fuel probably similar although should be a bit cheaper in Auckland given the proximity to ports and competition. Definitely tourist towns more expensive to eat out.