Belize's most expensive cities

Hello everyone,

What are the most expensive cities to live in Belize? What are the costs of things such as rent, utilities, weekly groceries, dining out, etc.?

What is the lifestyle like in these cities, for expats and locals?

What are the different neighbourhoods like? Are there more affordable areas?

Do you have any experience living in any of Belize's most expensive cities? What was it like?

Which cities in Belize would you recommend? Are there any that offer particularly good value for money when it comes to cost of living?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

San Pedro is, by far, the most expensive. I would say Caye caulker, Placencia, and Hopkins after that. Then San Ignacio and Corozal. Then the rest of the country. There are expensive parts of Belize city and Belmopan, but other parts that aren't. In the expensive areas, most locals have been priced out. There's a huge difference in numbers of locals in those areas from when I first visited in 96. Value depends entirely on what you are looking for. Wanting to immerse in the culture is a whole different thing from wanting to live somewhere with fast internet and a developed world variety of foods.

Pricilla, You might take a look at numbeo.com for information on cost of living.

Hi Priscilla,

Monkeytownbrew gave you an accurate list of locales by cost of living. My wife and I have chosen the Consejo area to build a home. The cost of living is reasonable. We wanted to reside where the rainfall wasn't extremely high, and there was some shelter from hurricanes. Nearby Corozal is a pleasant, rather sleepy town and the people are great. It is accessible to Chetumal, Mexico for pleasurable things. These were the things we looked for but, everyone has their own desires.
It boils down to what you want regarding location, amenities, and cost.
I believe the Placencia area is receives heavy rainfall, and is being dredged for relocation of the cruise ship port. Belize City is the largest city and therefore where most of the crime exists. Ambergis Caye and Caye Caulker are somewhat remote from certain things, and more susceptible to severe storms. Those are just my perceptions.
Good luck in your hunt for your dream destination.

rayonthebay wrote:

Hi Priscilla,

I believe the Placencia area is receives heavy rainfall, and is being dredged for relocation of the cruise ship port. Belize City is the largest city and therefore where most of the crime exists. Ambergis Caye and Caye Caulker are somewhat remote from certain things, and more susceptible to severe storms. Those are just my perceptions.
Good luck in your hunt for your dream destination.

For the sake of accuracy:
1. Rainfall in  Plancia is seasonal with October being the normal peak.
In the 2nd week of October, 2014 I drove around northern Belize the 1st time. If you recall they had record rainfall in all northern areas at that time and I was unable to get to several areas above Corozal because of flooded roads, so for the remaining days of that trip, I drove down to Placencia where the sun was shining.  ;) 
Rain in Placencia like most areas in the Caribbean I have been tends to come mostly in spurts, often in the very early morning hours, so seldom interferes with daily activities.

2. Norwegian Cruise Lines destination port at Harvest Caye opened November 2016, so the actual dredging  operations tying into existing deep water channels for Big-Creek Port ended about 18 months ago.

Most passengers never leave the Caye located about 3 miles SW of the tip of the Placencia peninsula. The ones that do go on guided tours, are tendered into Norwegians dock near Independence, then bussed out to the various destinations. Very few cruisers take a boat trip across the lagoon to Placencia for a couple of hours.

Thanks but I know everything about Belize. My wife is Belizean.

browni wrote:

Thanks but I know everything about Belize.

Amazing!

Have you considered writing an encyclopedia?

And I know everything about America because  my husband is American.

That was funny Marge.