Australia's most expensive cities

Hello everyone,

What are the most expensive cities to live in Australia? What are the costs of things such as rent, utilities, weekly groceries, dining out, etc.?

What is the lifestyle like in these cities, for expats and locals?

What are the different neighbourhoods like? Are there more affordable areas?

Do you have any experience living in any of Australia's most expensive cities? What was it like?

Which cities in Australia would you recommend? Are there any that offer particularly good value for money when it comes to cost of living?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi,

I am living in Canberra since I came to Australia, so 7 years, I have visited Sydney, Malbourne, Perth and Gold Coast. Canberra is "public servis" city, so a lot of jobs are in PS or related services, salaries are a bit bigger then in other parts of Austraia but house prices and rents are also bigger, other living expenses are bigger then in Perth or Melbourne. Social life in Canberra ...not really good, espacially for somone who came to Canberra as an adult. People are very closed to their own privacy not really ready to meet new people. Perth is more welcomy, I would say people are more relaxed , and city is beautiful. Melbourne is great for young people many many place for social life, big job opportunities but not in PS more in privite companies. They have great organies public transport so you can save on car expenses as well. so in every of this cities you can find good and bad things, in general Australia is conutry where you can earn very good money but it is also very expensive country for living, but people are nice, mostly open minded and very kind. Really depend what you want i what you expect. I am originaly from Europe ( ex yugoslavia) and for me this is, even after 7 years, very strange life style. But I was 39 years old adult when I came to Australia and I believe it will bi very different if I came when I was much much younger with no kids. All this is just my personal view of life in Au. So good luck with you moving to Australia!

Hi Priscilla,

Thanks for your message. I lived four months in Sydney and 6 in the Melbourne area near Geelong more exactly. And I lived there as an aupair so I never really experienced life on my own here. But I still can stay after having watching prices of flats in Sydney and Melbourne that those cities are very expensive. The cost of living is high so if you want to live in such cities better to be well prepared.
Where I live now in the geelong area about 50 km from Melbourne it's less expensive than the city and very nice to live. So I would recommend you to save money loving outside big cities instead of being downtown. Plus if you want to experience the Aussie life that's easier in suburbs or countryside. Less tourists, less working holiday visas :-)
As for me that what I prefer :-)
Hoping having helped you a bit with my answer.

Have a good day,
Malika

Sydney followed by Melbourn are the most expensive city to Live in  Australia.Rent is the most expensive .Queensland,Perth,Adelaide and Tasmania are fairly reasonable