US expat in Thailand thinking about Belize

hi all, i'm from the UK but now US citizen and semi-retired in Thailand for 12 years now, 58 years old. I'm starting to get a bit worn out with Thailand and my marriage (to a Thai) isn't in great shape so i'm thinking about somewhere new, start over.

i still work about 3-4 months a year in Socal and sometimes in the UK, mostly to boost my finances but also to give me something to do.

I feel like I over committed to Thailand a bit, buying a big house, car, wife, etc. I'm thinking if i try Belize for something like 6 months per year, just rent, live cheap. I'm happy to drive around on a motorbike, shop at the local markets, go chat to people in a local bar for a couple of happy hour drinks, etc, no 5 star stuff.

From what I understand of a very brief look at Belize info, I can stay for 6 months per year with no visa on my US passport, fruit and veg looks very nice and cheap (i'm trying to go mostly vegi plus fish), rents maybe comparable the Thailand, $250US/month?  i'm generally very healthy but i am getting older so health care may become an issue, but currently no health issues at all.

I like that i can fly from to Belize from LAX in 5-6 hours vs. 20 grueling hours to Thailand and flights look about $500 vs. about $900 to here.

Any advice for me please?, Places to look for a laid back expat experience. I don't need to be next to the ocean, I love mountains but like to be an hour or less bike ride from the ocean would be nice. mostly interested in a good, friendly community and some outdoor activities i think.

thanks, steve

Well the local Belize visa is for 30 days, if you wish t stay longer on that 30th day you have to go to an immigration office to renew for the next 30 days. The first entry 30 day visa is free but the next 5 will cost $25 us each and if you stay longer then $50us for each renewal.
Belize is small and you will find much of the country is within one or 2  hours Motor bike ride to the coast. Rents can be higher than you estimate in the more popular expat areas but should suffice in a most areas. The health system is not very good for  long term and emergency illness, but basic first aid cover is ok.  It is definitely 3rd world in that respect.   If you are fit and healthy and have no reason to beleive that is going to take a down ward spiral any time soon you should be fine.
The rules about visa and US passports will only come into play if you are a green card holder in the US in which case you have to reside in the US for 6 months of the year. Warning in advance, Banking in Belize is complicated, you are unlikely to be able to open a Local bank account quickly if at all but there are a couple of international banks still in Belize. Come down and see for yourself, with  no commitments you can stay as long as you like,  Using your motor bike and exploring all areas is a great idea, but bringing the bike in will involve 'customs', and no doubt fees.
Hope you try it out at least for a vacation.

steveh2112 wrote:

hi all, i'm from the UK but now US citizen and semi-retired in Thailand for 12 years now, 58 years old. I'm starting to get a bit worn out with Thailand and my marriage (to a Thai) isn't in great shape so i'm thinking about somewhere new, start over.

i still work about 3-4 months a year in Socal and sometimes in the UK, mostly to boost my finances but also to give me something to do.

I feel like I over committed to Thailand a bit, buying a big house, car, wife, etc. I'm thinking if i try Belize for something like 6 months per year, just rent, live cheap. I'm happy to drive around on a motorbike, shop at the local markets, go chat to people in a local bar for a couple of happy hour drinks, etc, no 5 star stuff.

From what I understand of a very brief look at Belize info, I can stay for 6 months per year with no visa on my US passport, fruit and veg looks very nice and cheap (i'm trying to go mostly vegi plus fish), rents maybe comparable the Thailand, $250US/month?  i'm generally very healthy but i am getting older so health care may become an issue, but currently no health issues at all.

I like that i can fly from to Belize from LAX in 5-6 hours vs. 20 grueling hours to Thailand and flights look about $500 vs. about $900 to here.

Any advice for me please?, Places to look for a laid back expat experience. I don't need to be next to the ocean, I love mountains but like to be an hour or less bike ride from the ocean would be nice. mostly interested in a good, friendly community and some outdoor activities i think.

thanks, steve

I recall a discussion in this forum a while back about why many expats leave Belize.  One of the reasons brought up was because when they moved to Belize, they were running away from something....

You might want to use the forum search function (hourglass at top of page) to find and read that thread.