Hello Everyone !

My Name is Gabriele and I live presently in B.C. Canada and will be taking my first trip with my husband to Belize.
We are hoping to look around at various areas and determine whether we would like to live here.  We do not know much about the area or what to expect.  We are having trouble even finding out how to bring money down to Belize to purchase something.  What is the easiest way to make a purchase as I was told we are not permitted to bring a lot of cash and we can't open up a bank account according to the people I have spoken with.  Somehow I find it hard to believe as everyone on this forum probably has purchased something, correct?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Gabriele

Your best is to search/read previous threads on these and many more common subjects within these forums, as they have been well covered several times. The little hourglass at the top of the page and keywords should bring up a wealth of information. Then ask focused questions for additional information.  :)

Thank you.   I have never been on a social site so I didn't know what to do.

You can bring any amount of US cash into Belize you just have to declare anything more the 10k when you come through customs. Just quietly mention I have some US dollars to the person who asks if you have anything to declare. You will then be directed to a private room to fill in some paper work and then go on your way. It is quite discreet if you do not make a fuss no one else will ether.

Much appreciated will the old and terrific for the very needed information.
I was also looking for another alternative. I don't feel comfortable bringing too much actual cash. Is it fairly easy to open an account ?  I was thinking of a bank draft payable to myself then cash it in belize. Would this work?

Opening a bank account in Belize is no easy, or quick process. It requires much documentation that you are a "trustworthy" person (letters of reference from 2 current banks, and personal references, etc.) and once those are met, it could take a month before you are approved by the national banking system.

If you plan on this route, bring enough cash with you to get through this time period. ATM's are an option, but there are the local bank fees, on top of the fees your bank will charge for using a foreign bank, etc.

No simple solution.

A month would be very optomistic  for any decision from  Central bank. It  has not been opening many bank accounts for Expats for the last couple of years. Officially it does say non residents cannot open accounts.  I believe it is easier to open an account with the international Banks in Belize.
There are plenty of western union  and other money Mailing company  offices around the country too,  Often one location deals  more than  company . Some have an upper limit on how much you can receive, and some are in rather open situations. Like the one at West Star Garage is a desk in the middle of the store. But the one in Placencia is in a Jewelry store and much more discreet.

terrific wrote:

A month would be very optomistic  for any decision from  Central bank. It  has not been opening many bank accounts for Expats for the last couple of years. Officially it does say non residents cannot open accounts.  I believe it is easier to open an account with the international Banks in Belize.
There are plenty of western union  and other money Mailing company  offices around the country too,  Often one location deals  more than  company . Some have an upper limit on how much you can receive, and some are in rather open situations. Like the one at West Star Garage is a desk in the middle of the store. But the one in Placencia is in a Jewelry store and much more discreet.

I can't say for a Canadian, but you are correct as it took this US citizen several months to open an International bank account with Atlantic in 2016-2017 and I had all the correct forms and letters with me from the get go. I had applied first to the Atlantic Bank (domestic) and it took them over two months to turn me down because I was not a resident...a fact everyone at the bank knew up front when I filled out the forms and handed it to them.  :mad:

The delay is mostly waiting for Belize Central bank to approve, and the very slow pace with internal processes between the head office and the Placencia branch office. I detailed my ordeal in several forum threads, along with others. There are a lot of good tips and suggestions in several previous threads on banking.

Having much cash on you, or at home is not a good idea!! It just makes one a target of opportunity.
Using a Credit or Debit card to withdraw $BZ at a Belize bank ATM is probably the best approach for the short term. Just make sure the card has no international fees associated with it so all you have is the local banks ATM fee. Also let your bank know you are traveling and what their dally/weekly cash limit is before you travel. I had my main card locked out when traveling in Brazil a few years ago, and it made things a little tight.

I have not used the Western Union cash service at the Placencia Pawn Shop/Jewelry store you mention, but I have purchased several very nice Jewelry items there. However finding them actully open can be tricky.   :unsure

We used the jewelry shop once and yes it took an hour before the shop opened, 2 hours after stated time. but they were really helpful particularly as my husband had managed a spelling mistake on the initial form (yes he spelled MY first name inncorectly, OK i never go by that name but it is what is needed Officially.  They could have said NO but they were happy to see all the rest was correct and the sender and recipient were both standing in front of them with full ID so they used common sense and accepted the wrong spelling. Yes my Husband is still trying to live it down. That branch will accept  transfers up to $5k us but if that much you need to warn them a few hours if not  a full day in advance.

hello, most of what your told is true, you can bring your money, 10,000.00 Belize. however if you bring more you need to declare it that's all. if you are not a Belizean its hard to buy land or open a bank account. its all because of the money laundering act...  however, once you get here you will find out much more and  others will lead you in the right direction . come to san Ignacio, beautiful place. hope you enjoy Belize...