Doctors or Hospitals

Hi Everyone
When you are pick, do you go to the Dr, or do you go directly to the hospital.  We have never seen any Dr. office on Koh Samui, so if anyone has an address, would be grateful for the contact détails.  We are in Maenam.  Thanks in advance
Wendy

I'm very glad that you brought up this subject.

Those side shops that you are referring to are doctors who practice at another facility and they open their own shop to make additional money. It is very very common. It might be helpful to ask a few questions before you proceed with anything.

Overall I am very happy with Thai medical service. I had dental work done. Not only was it excellent the cost was 10% of what it would have cost in the states. I also had a very major medical encounter last month. My state side MD told me that in the states that hospital bill would have easily been $200 k, in Thailand it was $3,500.

That being said there are some differences between US and Thai treatment. The Thai's have three basic principals that many US doctors agree with, in theory. One is a holistic approach. Another is to use anti-inflammatories. The last one is that on a traditional basis opiods are not to be used.

There is one procedure, and a few more, in which this is very contrary to Western procedures. Has any one heard of an inhalator? In Thailand the patients arms and legs are tied to the bed. There are four adult restraining the arms and legs. The doctor them forces the inhalator tube down the throat of the patient, period. This was done to be and is a very enjoyable way to spend an afternoon. I spoke to me MD in  the states. He said that in the states the procedure is very easy and not cumbersome. They simply sedate the patience and the tube slips right into place. Obviously the normal Thai procedure is NOT to sedate.

All is not lost. About 7 years ago the Thai government had received so man Farang complaints that they now have a new process. A lawyer can write a document which would be a legal document of a letter of instruction for any medical treatment. In other words it requires the Thai MD to provide any medication that will aide in any appropriate procedure.

This seems to be a topic that is not discussed openly. But I was one of the victims. I will be returning to Chiang Mai and having my lawyer write this letter of medical instruction, and distribute to all concerned, even my advocate when there is a need. Warning; the attending physician needs to be presented with that letter of instruction before he/she proceeds in the Thai way.

Jesus Bill, sorry you went through that.  It sounds mid evil!!!

My god what an experience. Scary!  You haven't reassured me. Hummm to reflect on