Leaving the country after applying for the Dutch citizenship

Dear all,

I wanted to bounce a scenario - An individual has applied for Dutch citizenship and the application is under process. Now, due to certain circumstances, this individual has to leave the country (eg family emergency back home or leaving the job/getting laid off, etc.).

What happens to the application in this case? Does it get rejected? Or the citizenship will be granted?

Thanks & regards

Depends: if you are laid off, you have insurances here, which will give you money for your housing etc, so only in the most dire situation they will grant permission for you to reside OUTSIDE of the country while in pending.

MichaelDerksen1988 wrote:

Depends: if you are laid off, you have insurances here, which will give you money for your housing etc, so only in the most dire situation they will grant permission for you to reside OUTSIDE of the country while in pending.

Thanks Michael. But not entirely clear. Let me try to confirm what you are saying.

If John Doe has applied for citizenship and before he is granted the citizenship, he is laid off, will he still be granted citizenship? Will he be allowed to continue to reside in Netherlands?

Thanks.

With regards to "John Doe" leaving the country while his application is still in process, the issue I see with this is that applications for citizenship are made in the local municipality where you live; this is the same place where you have to de-register on moving out of the region.  All this activity is linked by your Burgerservicenummer (BSN), so all Dutch Government departments will be aware of your current status.  So you can't hide the fact and my experience is that it's always best to be honest and upfront when dealing with regulators of any function.

I don't think that being laid-off will affect any application, as Michael has suggested, if you have been working and paid into the Social Funds, he/she will be entitled to State Benefits.  I suggest the "John Doe" approaches the IND in the municipality where he/she has applied and asks there.

Cynic wrote:

With regards to "John Doe" leaving the country while his application is still in process, the issue I see with this is that applications for citizenship are made in the local municipality where you live; this is the same place where you have to de-register on moving out of the region.  All this activity is linked by your Burgerservicenummer (BSN), so all Dutch Government departments will be aware of your current status.  So you can't hide the fact and my experience is that it's always best to be honest and upfront when dealing with regulators of any function.

I don't think that being laid-off will affect any application, as Michael has suggested, if you have been working and paid into the Social Funds, he/she will be entitled to State Benefits.  I suggest the "John Doe" approaches the IND in the municipality where he/she has applied and asks there.

Thanks Cynic. Its the later part of your reply that was really what I was trying to find out and as you suggest, best is to walk in and check w the gemeente (municipality). And of course the first part of your advice is gold as well but wasn't my concern. I would also advise & follow the laws of the land where you are residing.

Thanks again!