DaNang rated one of top retirement destination

Thestreet.com has the below article which list Danang one of the top 21 retirement destinations:

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1323212 … rseas.html

While I'm glad to see a Vietnamese city on a "best of" list, I wonder why there are 21 destinations instead of 20 or 25. 

It looks almost like the author was determined to put Da Nang on the list, hence the unusual choice.

Visas are the biggest issue for most people, hence why most retire in Thailand on their retirement visa.

I thought the same thing. What a queer number. I think it was last year or the prior year that DaLat made the list. But you know that is what brought me to VN several years ago, Nha Trang had one of the top 20 beaches in the world. So I thought I would stop by in my way to Chang  Mai , and have never left.

I must say I do line DaNang. Quite a progressive city after the former mayor put them on their current path. To bad he died. He wanted to pattern DaNang after Singapore.

Yes, I hope soneday that will change. Thailand has the " O" visa for Retired's I think it is. I wish there were some way we could have more permanent status here. Even in marriage your no more than a tourist here.
  I do think those rating are not to we thought out. I was a little surprised when I saw the beach in NT that they rated the top 20 in the world. This was before they put in the sewage treatment facility. And those were not Baby Ruth candy bars floating in the water. I have been all over the world and have seen far more than 20 beaches that were better.
  How can they rate DN so high when you consider you can not retire here with any type of status. Oh well,glad we made the list.

Those same reports come out every year from Live and Invest Overseas and you see them in newspapers, magazines, TV. The media considers that one company the only source for overseas retirement options. I read a bunch of their reports, even paid for a few, when I was researching. They make money from seminars and investment advice for nervous old people. Also they keep their lists short so as not to confuse. They have general info that is ok, cost of living estimates should be given as a range not a single number, and there are really a lot more options in the world and places to find out about them.

Indeed. That is where I got the NT recommendation. Not sure how deep they go into things before they give out their stars.

They rely on writers they hire. I bought the Nha Trang report too, 3 years ago. It was written by a couple. So basically you get one point of view about livability, services, cost of living.