Received my Citizenship verification! (I think!)

Hi All,

After more than a year, I have finally received my reply from the LA Consulate regarding my Jus Sanguin  verification of citizenship! Below is the Magyar text from the letter I received today....

Hivatkozással magyar állampolgárság igazolása iránti kérelmére tájékoztatom, hogy magyar állampolgárságát a Bevándorlási és Menekültügyi Hivatal <case number here> számon igazolta.

Ezzel az igazolással magyar útlevelet igényelhet, de az útlevelét a magyar hatóságok csak születésének hazai anyakönyvezését követően tudják kiállítani.

This roughly translates to English as:

With reference to the application for proof of Hungarian citizenship, I will inform you that his Hungarian citizenship was certified by the Immigration and Asylum Office number <My Case Number>.

With this certificate you can apply for a Hungarian passport, but your passport can only be issued by the Hungarian authorities after birth registration in Hungary.

I *think* this means my citizenship has been validated! YAY!....But I suppose I will need to find out the exact meaning of "but your passport can only be issued by the Hungarian authorities after birth registration in Hungary." .

This was a good day! (I *think*)....

Best!
Randy

Probably what they mean, that you need to show your original birth certificate, and they will give you a Hungarian one. Not.sure about the exact process though.

Congrats!!!
Our son got his HU passport and citizenship he sent in a copy if I remember correctly of his US birth certificate, he never received a HU birth certificate because he was not born in Hungary, doubt they will be sending you a birth certificate, what for if you have already been excepted as a citizen. They only give out HU passports to citizens so yes, good for you, now you are a dual citizen of the world.
My son's ex HUngarian wife stole his passport when they broke up, he needs to replace it at some point in time I suppose.
My husband is over age 65 and a HU citizen, the HU gov. will renew his HU passport for free because he is a senior citizen, nice of them really.

Good news. Does it often take a year or more to get the verification of citizenship?

It depends on circumstances I think. If you are trying for "right of blood" verification, then they say it's 6 to 9 months. Mine took almost exactly 9 months from the time I turned in all of my documentation to the consulate in LA, but  I started the process of gathering and translating documents, etc over 1 year. The packet was completed and sent to Hungary in the 1st part of January.

In my case my father was born in Hungary and left in 1956. I have all the documents including his US citizenship, his Hungarian ID cards, etc. When I was born he had not yet become a US citizen, so we assume he was still a Hungarian citizen at the time of my birth. The Chicago consulate helped me fill out and submit the paperwork. They were very helpful. It has been a year now, and I emailed the Chicago consulate a few months ago. They said be patient as it takes a while.
In a case like mine, is it possible that Hungarian citizenship not be granted?
Thank you

Chikagoan wrote:

In a case like mine, is it possible that Hungarian citizenship not be granted?
Thank you

No person here can tell you for sure, as there are many catch 22's in Hungarian law. But it sure sounds like a slam dunk.

In my case, both my parents were Hungarian, left in 1947 after the war, and I had all of their original documents (birth certificates, marriage cert, etc). I don't know if you traveled to Chicago for an "interview"? Or did you communicate with the consulate only by mail/phone? If you went through an interview process in person, that might speed things up (I don't know!).

But you should be hearing something very soon if it's been a year since your docket was sent to Hungary!

Let us know~
Randy

Hi,

Chikagoan:

Until you get the confirmation letter you can't be sure. I met a Serbian girl in London who learned couple of sentences of Hungarian and got the citizenship despite she was unable to prove any Hungarian ancestry. So who knows?

Randy:
As Hungarian citizen, you need to have a hungarian birth certificate. They will create this using your original english birth certificate, but, you need an official translation of the document ( http://www.offi.hu/), a proof of your citizenship (I suppose the document you have received). And an ID card.

Afther this, you can apply for a Hungarian passport.
If you live in Hungary you need to get a Hungarian ID card also.

Andras

Ps: Edited this post as I mixed the two posts

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Congrats!!!
Our son got his HU passport and citizenship he sent in a copy if I remember correctly of his US birth certificate, he never received a HU birth certificate because he was not born in Hungary, doubt they will be sending you a birth certificate, what for if you have already been excepted as a citizen. They only give out HU passports to citizens so yes, good for you, now you are a dual citizen of the world.
My son's ex HUngarian wife stole his passport when they broke up, he needs to replace it at some point in time I suppose.
My husband is over age 65 and a HU citizen, the HU gov. will renew his HU passport for free because he is a senior citizen, nice of them really.

Thank you! It's a wonderful feeling! I have the HU flag 3' x 5' on my patio fence... It has a sign underneath, "District 24, Budapest" lol...... Feels like home!

I'll be 65 when I move there, so this is just another example of why I'm longing for civilization!

Best!

randy.moller wrote:

Thank you! It's a wonderful feeling! I have the HU flag 3' x 5' on my patio fence... It has a sign underneath, "District 24, Budapest" lol...... Feels like home!

I'll be 65 when I move there, so this is just another example of why I'm longing for civilization!

Best!

Haha, that is nice.

Why are you so eager to move to Hungary? Is there any particular reason or you just like the idea of living in a european country?

Entity wrote:

Hi,

Randy:
As Hungarian citizen, you need to have a hungarian birth certificate. They will create this using your original english birth certificate, but, you need an official translation of the document ( http://www.offi.hu/), a proof of your citizenship (I suppose the document you have received). And an ID card.

Afther this, you can apply for a Hungarian passport.
If you live in Hungary you need to get a Hungarian ID card also.

Andras

Thanks Andras. I have already submitted a certified copy of my birth certificate, along with translations for all the documents I provided.

This seems to conflict with what Marilyn Tassey stated that we don't get a HU birth certificate? I don't know, but I'm calling the consulate today and I'll find out more what I need to do!

randy.moller wrote:

Thanks Andras. I have already submitted a certified copy of my birth certificate, along with translations for all the documents I provided.

This seems to conflict with what Marilyn Tassey stated that we don't get a HU birth certificate? I don't know, but I'm calling the consulate today and I'll find out more what I need to do!

I suppose you submitted those documents to support your application for the citizenship.
I think getting a Hungarian birth department is another procedure and you will need to re-submit those again.
Yeah, Hungary is in top of bureaucracy.

Entity wrote:

Haha, that is nice.

Why are you so eager to move to Hungary? Is there any particular reason or you just like the idea of living in a european country?

I grew up surrounded by Hungarians even though I was raised in California. I lived in Germany for 3 years, and love European culture and values (especially values!). The wild west is full of morons that beat their own drums daily. And now, more than ever, I want to leave the US because I'm ashamed of it's people. I don't want to be associated with it anymore.

randy.moller wrote:

I grew up surrounded by Hungarians even though I was raised in California. I lived in Germany for 3 years, and love European culture and values (especially values!). The wild west is full of morons that beat their own drums daily. And now, more than ever, I want to leave the US because I'm ashamed of it's people. I don't want to be associated with it anymore.

I can understand that. But morons are everywhere, no country exempt of that.  You need to choose wisely where you move, who you meet. Do you speak some Hungarian?

The consular in Chicago helped me go through the paperwork. I did it all in person. He looked at all the documents and basically assisted with everything. Very nice and helpful man. Everything seemed in order and as you said, it is appears to be a slam dunk. I imagine it is just a substantial wait. I do plan on visiting Hungary next Summer and would like to do so as a citizen. In 2-3 years I would like to relocate to Hungary much of the year.

Entity wrote:
randy.moller wrote:

I can understand that. But morons are everywhere, no country exempt of that.  You need to choose wisely where you move, who you meet. Do you speak some Hungarian?

Very little yet. Working on it. I hope to be "conversational" by the time I go.

Of course there are morons everywhere. But my senses tell me Europe (for the most part) doesn't breed them quite as fast as this country does. Cultures are different all over the world as well as people. I guess what I'm trying to convey is, culture has very much to do with a person's world view, and the vast majority of people in the U.S. are so in love with capitalism, and it's people so defined by their economic status and self-interest, that there's very little moral fiber left in my opinion. It's very ugly to me, and I'm really looking forward to leaving!

Best!

If you don't like right-wing governments and conservative people, Hungary might not be the best choice right now.

I am really curious what do you expect from this place. Can you explain it a bit more in depth?

randy.moller wrote:
Entity wrote:
randy.moller wrote:

Of course there are morons everywhere. But my senses tell me Europe (for the most part) doesn't breed them quite as fast as this country does. Cultures are different all over the world as well as people. I guess what I'm trying to convey is, culture has very much to do with a person's world view, and the vast majority of people in the U.S. are so in love with capitalism, and it's people so defined by their economic status and self-interest, that there's very little moral fiber left in my opinion. It's very ugly to me, and I'm really looking forward to leaving!

Best!

Exactly the same thing happening here as all around the world. We have our own Trump, well, rather our own Putin here, Victor Orban with 2/3 majority in parliament. The situation is quite bad, feels like in the communism again. Although there are signs, maybe next year, in the general election there will be a change. I hope.

Chikagoan wrote:

If you don't like right-wing governments and conservative people, Hungary might not be the best choice right now.

It depends on what they're conserving! My opinion only, but what they call conservatism here is a sorry excuse for "and promote the general welfare".

Sorry! I didn't want to start a political discussion!

Randy

Entity wrote:

Exactly the same thing happening here as all around the world. We have our own Trump, well, rather our own Putin here, Victor Orban with 2/3 majority in parliament. The situation is quite bad, feels like in the communism again. Although there are signs, maybe next year, in the general election there will be a change. I hope.

Ahhh, understood. Well, then Hungary needs me! lol..... I'll keep a watch on what happens next year! I don't plan on moving over for another 18mo. when I retire. Thanks!

randy.moller wrote:

Ahhh, understood. Well, then Hungary needs me! lol..... I'll keep a watch on what happens next year! I don't plan on moving over for another 18mo. when I retire. Thanks!

Indeed. You have the citizenship, register to vote! :)

Rawlee wrote:

I am really curious what do you expect from this place. Can you explain it a bit more in depth?

randy.moller wrote:
Entity wrote:

Best!

Good food, good conversation, time to think, live, not so much stress. That's about it. Nothing to go in depth about really. I'm hoping that I find it in Budapest, but if not, I am able to move around if I want to make a change. Options are always a good thing!

By the way. If a person is a Hungarian citizen, then they can live in any EU country, correct?

Chikagoan wrote:

By the way. If a person is a Hungarian citizen, then they can live in any EU country, correct?

Any EU country, yes

Chikagoan wrote:

Yes, you are right. Although the cost of living is much higher to the west. Lot of pensioners retire in Malta, especially on Gozo island. They speak there proper English. But not too much to do there eventually. It's all about your preferences :)

Entity wrote:

If it would be anything like communism, I would have my own home, like my grandparents or my parents did by the time they were as old as me now, I would have my own car, and I could go on vacation for 2-3 weeks. Instead I am slaving for a home which's price grows more each year than I earn, because foreigners drive up the prices, and buy up the properties as investment.

However, the situation is the best since probably 1890, the economy is attached to a booster rocket, wages grow like there's no tomorrow, we have friggin' worker shortage. I hope the 2/3 stays, as the opposition is about as good as an eunuch would be in a brothel.

Don't really want to get into this too deep, but the economy is only blooming because of the EU funding, without it it would be 1.5% reduction.

The laws are protecting the rich who is favoured by the governing party, the majority of the media is owned by the puppets of Orban. The government tends to pass new laws to re-distribute whole industries, of course to their friends.

Salaries are increasing on specific areas like IT, but that is a worldwide trend. Other areas are growing much slower, still way below the EU average.

Our healthcare, education is in ruins. We are about to build a nuclear power plant with 'support' of Russia. Our diplomatic relations to developed countries worse than ever.

The law does not protect private rights and assets properly. Our taxation system is a nightmare, over 150 kind of different taxes. We still have the 'temporary' tax on bank transactions.

The only reason to move back, that I can work remotely for companies all over the world and I'm mostly independent from the Hungarian economy and businesses.

There is a big disparity in perceptions it seems, in terms of how the country is doing. I will be an American retiree staying part of the year in Hungary.  Mainly just because I like it there and feel comfortable. I found people to be very kind and pleasant when I spoke Hungarian to them. Costs are low and I like the culture and history. But for Hungarian-Hungarians, the situation still seems difficult. Last year I was in Szombathely for example, and people told me the wages were still low, prices were rising and for young people, the ability to work in Western Europe had a very strong pull. I heard Hungarian being spoken in London, in Antwerp and in Italy. Some by tourists but also by workers.

Yes, you are right. After living in several countries I can say, Hungarians are more welcoming than Germans or English. You can get easily invited to someone house and get food, drinks and a nice chat, while in the UK  visiting each other houses was quite rare. Even my two neighbours were able to talk hours in pijamas standing front of their houses instead of inviting each other inside.

I'm not telling that everything what the government does is wrong, but with a little bit less corruption and stealing and a bit sophisticated communication, less business with dictatorial countries and a balanced government would be nice.

I get it, evil Russia should be off-limit. On a similar note, when will the US stop buying emirati oil? Or close the factories in China?

http://images.slideplayer.hu/41/1155081 … lide_4.jpg

If ~2% of our trade balance with Russia is too much to you, maybe you are a bit overreacting? Or maybe thats not how capitalism works?
The government is balanced, it was democratially elected. If you dont like how the majority of the voters decide, maybe some kind of autocratic government for would suit your needs for...democracy?

I agree on corruption though.

How do Hungarians feel about the government's position on migrants?
My observations are that many Hungarians support it.

Rawlee wrote:

The government is balanced, it was democratially elected. If you dont like how the majority of the voters decide, maybe some kind of autocratic government for would suit your needs for...democracy?

Simply because an government holds election and was elected does not singularly mean that alone makes that government in balance with the other pillars of a modern democracy and is not leaning toward authoritarianism. Politics and hybrid government types can be far more complex than that.

Concepts of "majority rules, but minority rights" based on republic principles (i.e. laws) are the hard won features of modern democracies. Beginning with documents like the Magna Carta Libertatum et al, rules and laws stared to come into play conceptually to give others rights and liberties that eventually formed into modern democratic thinking. And those laws, rules and liberties often transcended the rights of political leaders, leadership and governments. So when someone in government talks about "going to war" when a legal decision for minority rights goes against the government, and limits their perception of power, or even the "power of the majority" that government claims to hold, it is indeed leaning away from Libertatum, liberty, freedom and toward a non-free, non-Libertatum, il-liberal type of government (all three of these mean the same). And thus is out of balance with other pillars of a modern democracy.

But if you want to blame anyone, I do think you have an easy case to blame Western Europe and the USA. Both, in my humble opinion, are to blame for pushing a vastly over simplified "ideology" of democracy by just repeating that word over and over again. The result is thinking like "we get to vote, majority rules, case closed". Which is not actually a modern democracy at all. So it is completely understandable, to me, that when some people say "We voted to stone this person to death for committing adultery. Why is the US upset with us now? They told us we should vote and we did."

klsallee wrote:

Simply because an government holds election and was elected does not singularly mean that alone makes that government in balance with the other pillars of a modern democracy and is not leaning toward authoritarianism. Politics and hybrid government types can be far more complex than that.

Concepts of "majority rules, but minority rights" based on republic principles (i.e. laws) are the hard won features of modern democracies. Beginning with documents like the Magna Carta Libertatum et al, rules and laws stared to come into play conceptually to give others rights and liberties that eventually formed into modern democratic thinking. And those laws, rules and liberties often transcended the rights of political leaders, leadership and governments. So when someone in government talks about "going to war" when a legal decision for minority rights goes against the government, and limits their perception of power, or even the "power of the majority" that government claims to hold, it is indeed leaning away from Libertatum, liberty, freedom and toward a non-free, non-Libertatum, il-liberal type of government (all three of these mean the same). And thus is out of balance with other pillars of a modern democracy.

But if you want to blame anyone, I do think you have an easy case to blame Western Europe and the USA. Both, in my humble opinion, are to blame for pushing a vastly over simplified "ideology" of democracy by just repeating that word over and over again. The result is thinking like "we get to vote, majority rules, case closed". Which is not actually a modern democracy at all. So it is completely understandable, to me, that when some people say "We voted to stone this person to death for committing adultery. Why is the US upset with us now? They told us we should vote and we did."

Yes! So well said...

Human nature (the thirst for power and wealth) prevents any realistic opportunity for true Libertatum  to exist. Communism is not realistically possible either, for the same reasons. A Social Democratic Republic (just my opinion) would be the closest achievable form of libertarian government. But oh what a bureaucracy that would turn out to be lol.

But I am curious as to why you think the US and W. Europe are to blame? For what? Attempting to move towards liberty, and failing? I think we can blame human nature, which will always be the barrier  to success!

Just m2c...

You bring up Magna Carta in your post. When was that signed, 1215? So the UK cultivated some form of democracy for 800 years? And you really have the nerve to accuse us for not performing according to your expectations when we've been practicing this for 27 years? How does 800 compare to 27? Lets get back to this in 800 years, ok? Kind of hypocritical to call us anything, when you had 800 years head start. Maybe you should accuse this John king of not legalizing gay marriage in 1250?

Not understanding that society has to demand democratic virtues and liberal values from the inside, and for this society has to reach a certain development stage is a form of arrogance. Western people practice this very well.

We are ready for an "illiberal democracy". Accep it, and embrace it, or go back. You have a choice. But this society is ready for this, not for the liberal utopia where white people are almost executed for being white.

Chikagoan wrote:

How do Hungarians feel about the government's position on migrants?
My observations are that many Hungarians support it.

People I know support it. Hungarians are a xenophobic bunch, there is nothing to be ashamed of this.

Sounds like it...  Strangely, it sounds like that they verified that you were born in Hungary, but you still need to register for a birth certificate.  I think!  Strange... 

I am just gearing-up to do the same.  Was told that it can take "up to six months"...  I was planning to hopefully move to Budapest in six months.  I am glad you got your good news, but it's bad news to me...

You write like an American.    Are you moving back to the U.S. from the States?

I lived there most of my life, and decided to "go home" now that it is safe from Communist dictatorship...  Unfortunately things are going in the other direction in the Land of the Free.  Free speech in no longer "free" and the American Dream became a dirty expression... 

You must be excited!  Congratulations!

Question:  How come it took a year?  Were there complications?

Hi Panni,

I was told the timeframe should be 6 to 9 months. So from my perspective my experience was normal. Yes, I was born and raised in So. Calif. Both of my parents were Hungarian, and so I was able to prove right of blood. I have not returned to the consulate yet for my passport, but will do so in the next couple of months.

So when you left Hungary and came to the US, you became a US citizen? If so, did you give up your Hungarian citizenship? If not, I don't understand why you cannot just go to the consulate (Los Angeles consulate is great!), and show them your Hungarian birth certificate. They may just give you your passport on the spot. I don't know, but it's certainly worth a shot!

I don't plan to move until April 2019 (when I retire), so there was no urgency for me.

Best!
Randy

Hi Randy,

I immigrated to the U.S. in 1974, when I was 18.  I did not give-up my citizenship, but do not have my Hungarian birth certificate.  I was 17 when I left Hungary, escaped to Italy through Yugoslavia pretending to be a tourist with just a sandwich in my handbag.  Plus I did not think that I would need it one day... 

Cannot go into the Hungarian Consulate, as I am in Fiji, and there is none here.  The closest one is in Australia, where I lived for a year before coming to Fiji.  I called them; however, and they referred me to an agency that processes requests for birth certificates.  I will have to attain one first, then I can get a passport immediately.  I will be back in AU in January.  Maybe I will have my birth certificate then, and can take care of it at that time.  That's the process that I was told takes 4-6 months, because it is done through the mail.

Livia

Hi Randy,

May I ask - do you know if your application was put forward for ‘Verification of Citizenship' THEN ‘Birth Registration'?

I submit my application in May 2016 and am yet to be given a decision, however I was told back in August 2017 my case had then been forwarded for Birth Registration...

Just trying to gather if it's looking promising for me!

Thanks and also congrats on receiving yours.