Deregistration from the Netherlands

Hi All,
Bit of a complicated situation,
I am making a move from Netherlands to Poland.
I am currently not a EU citizen.
I am requested to goto Poland with a new work permit whereby I will receive a Stamp authorising my stay in Poland (regardless of visa) .
However i need to also de-register from the Netherlands.

Do you perhaps know if it can be done by post? or by the consulate in Warsaw?
I see that it requires me to hand my residence permit back to the IND and i have read up that I can do it via post.
Obviously this situation will result in me being in Poland attempting to de-register from the Netherlands and loosing my visa.

Any advice would be welcome, I have asked already a few people with the most common advice of just letting the residence permit expire but i am afraid of the consequence of such actions (not sure what they are just im sure its not legal).

Looking for real answers here.


Hi Mike,

You are required to de-register with the Gemeente before you leave.  If you don't, you will continue to be charged for Gemeente Belasting, which may cause you a problem should you ever come back to Holland.

Just give the Gemeente a call to make an appointment, it will take a few minutes.

What kind of visa /permit you have and how long it takes before its expired?
And how long you'll stay in Poland?

These are the questions I would have an.answer
And yes, you need to go to your city hall to deregister yourself. Probably a few days before you leave the country.

New topic

Expatriate health insurance in the Netherlands

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in the Netherlands

Moving to the Netherlands

Find tips from professionals about moving to the Netherlands

Travel insurance in the Netherlands

Enjoy stress-free travel to the Netherlands