Apartment rental-Landlord entry

When renting do you ever feel like the property isnt really yours ?

I always find myself turning laptop off and putting it away in cupboard incase landlord comes in,hiding personal letters etc.

I think they can't come in without warning (?),but he knows I work 9-5 so he could theoretically sneak in.

Am I being paranoid or do others do this ?

The owner absolutely has no right to come in without giving you sufficient notice and cause. If you suspect them of doing so why?

NewPoster2017 wrote:

I always find myself turning laptop off and putting it away in cupboard incase landlord comes in,hiding personal letters etc.

I think they can't come in without warning (?),but he knows I work 9-5 so he could theoretically sneak in.

Never given it a thought where we live but maybe it depends where you come from or what area you live to make you suspicious, the first house we rented here we did wonder if the landlady had been in when we were on holiday as there was a light left on, or we may have not turned it off.

I am not accusing the landlord,just curious if others felt the same when renting.

My Maltese landlord SMSed me once saying he was passing by and needed the toilet.  After he just went in and used the toilet.

So yeah, it all depends :P

How about this one then,
Our neighbours below us were at home one evening, some months after moving in when all of a sudden the door unlocked and in walked an agent with a client. They didn't know it had been let.
He quickly changed the locks.

I have an IP camera in our apartment so can monitor if I want.

RayAucote wrote:

How about this one then,
Our neighbours below us were at home one evening, some months after moving in when all of a sudden the door unlocked and in walked an agent with a client. They didn't know it had been let.

How much was that ? Installation etc ?

I've rented all my life (not only in Malta) and so far haven't had any major issues with that.

I've had good relationships with all landlords so far, and convinced them that I'd look after their property - so no real need for checking on their part.

Once in Austria a landlord apparently helped himself in while we were on holiday, because he wanted to fix something and we weren't there.

In Spain, the LL regularly came round to collect the rent (but rang), but I lived in a shared flat, so no privacy there anyway.

Our current LL in Austria (an elderly lady) once knocked on the terrace door in the morning, when I was sitting at the breakfast table only in my underpants. She'd been in the area and just wanted to say hello. She was quite embarassed, though - I didn't really care, after all, it was her who came to my place unannounced...

But with our two children leaving their toys everywhere all the time and making a mess in the whole flat, there's no need for putting away personal things - they wouldn't find it in the mess anyway... :)

NewPoster2017 wrote:

Is this the first time you have rented?  I think you could become paranoid, by all means put valuables away but I think the chances of the landlord coming in are slim.  just try to enjoy living here in what is a safe place to live compared to many countries, good luck.

NewPoster2017 wrote:
RayAucote wrote:

How about this one then,

How much was that ? Installation etc ?

Just GO and buy one from GO, plug it into your router and away you GO....
cost about 60 -70 €
( others are available )  :)

bernie_iris_fabian_david wrote:

I've rented all my life (not only in Malta) and so far haven't had any major issues with that.

I've had good relationships with all landlords so far, and convinced them that I'd look after their property - so no real need for checking on their part.

Once in Austria a landlord apparently helped himself in while we were on holiday, because he wanted to fix something and we weren't there.

In Spain, the LL regularly came round to collect the rent (but rang), but I lived in a shared flat, so no privacy there anyway.

Our current LL in Austria (an elderly lady) once knocked on the terrace door in the morning, when I was sitting at the breakfast table only in my underpants. She'd been in the area and just wanted to say hello. She was quite embarassed, though - I didn't really care, after all, it was her who came to my place unannounced...

But with our two children leaving their toys everywhere all the time and making a mess in the whole flat, there's no need for putting away personal things - they wouldn't find it in the mess anyway... :)

We also rented for the last 15 years in 1 property, no rent rises either. next door to landlord who in that time only ever came round about 20 times. We, however, were constantly round his house, we did act as caretakers for him whilst he was away etc.
It's all down to trust which can come with time.
Come to think of it, I don't know why we left that place. I couldn't have been thinking clearly.. :huh:

You must have had an exceptional landlord.

GozoMo wrote:

You must have had an exceptional landlord.

We did, no rent rise for 15 years, elec / water thrown in, we did actually raise our own rent by 25 a month..
I'm sure he misses us too....

hi do u know which local webpage can see the local house property

暗疮小王子 wrote:

hi do u know which local webpage can see the local house property

Search on Facebook for property rentals in Malta and Gozo!

I have it in writing in my rental contract the landlady has to give me 24 prior notice if she wants to enter the property. I am quite sure that is the statutory law. Whether others abide by that is another matter.

24 hours I should have said.

my first landlord in Malta entered while i was  out when i complained he doubled the rent lol

personally I would leave a camera recording while out as my experience is to not trust any maltese landlord at all.

tonotwant wrote:

my first landlord in Malta entered while i was  out when i complained he doubled the rent lol

personally I would leave a camera recording while out as my experience is to not trust any maltese landlord at all.

You must have been very unlucky with your rental choice we are in our third one and not had any problems like you say.

i have some bad experiences with maltese landlords - especially with building work and deposits. like previous poster says it really does vary landlord to landlord

Hah! You could say that.....

My last landlord stole my full deposit of 1600 euro :)

tonotwant wrote:

You're doing very well on the island.

tonotwant wrote:

Did you complete the full term of your contract?
Did you leave the property in as good a condition as it was when you moved in?
What was the reason for the Landlord not giving you your deposit back?

Ray