Doggie issues

Hello,

I'm moving to Istanbul in August and I want to bring my pug with me.
I like to hang out at parks, walk around, and eat at outdoor restaurants with my dog.
I'm wondering how dog friendly Istanbul is? (I've read about all the strays) :(
Are there lots of pets stores, vets, dog parks... etc?
I also want to travel and I haven't been able to find any dog boarding places or preferably dog hotels or dog sitters online?

Any info would be helpful.

THANKS!!!

there are dog hotels dont worry and about the pubs and restaurants some do welcome pets, not big issue

While you do see lots of strays here, generally they are friendly or scared of people. I've never felt threatened in the 9 months I've been here.

My only concern would be is that I believe you have to quarantine your dog/cat for 6 months in Turkey before they will release it to you. THat's one of the reasons why we didn't get an animal before moving last year. Just look into the situation before you move.

Also, many Turks have dogs now. Usually the purebreads such as labs, retrievers, bulldogs, etc.

I live in Beyoglu and they removed the outdoor seating last year from this area. As has been said above, the street dogs are fine, it's the dogs they use as guard dogs which are aggressive.  I used to walk past a place where the guy set his dogs on the motorcyclists as they rode by.  Things are changing here and the middle classes are starting to own even small dogs but only in the nice parts of Istanbul.  I more or less know now where I can take my dog and where I can't.
I didn't know about the quarantine situation for bringing a dog to Turkey - that's interesting.
Regarding dog hotels, yes I kennel my dog with my vet's pensyon when I go to the UK but expect to pay a bit here.  Average prices are 35 tl to 55 tl per day.  You pay a bit extra if you want the dog walked.

I just brought my dog here (a golden retriever) in December. Luckily, there is no quarantine, but you do have to have certain paperwork to get them in.  You can find pet stores, vets, etc.  What part of town will you be in? We just took our dog to the vet today for her vaccinations, no problem, there is a pet store in the mall at my husbands work and I like to go to Eminonu where they have lots of little pet shots near the spice bazaar.

As someone said before, most places with out door seating are fine (we have only tried once though).  Most neighborhoods have a small, local park that you can take the dog too, but I usually leave her on the leash as people are nervous about dogs.

We haven't had a problem with strays, but they do tend to bark and approach new dogs which can be troublesome if your dog gets defensive.

Feel free to message me if I can help out with questions.

Goldens are lovely animals:)  Mine is a small dog so I've managed to sneak him into the local Starbucks in a dog carrier:) Walking here is challenging though because people are very ignorant about small dogs in particular.  I avoid crowded places (a bit difficult in Istanbul) as much as I can.  For my sake as well as his:)

Okay, many of the same posters from my original question.  I feel a bit better reading these posts now.  Looks like he might be ocming with me afterall.  Thank you!

HI, I moved to Istanbul a few months ago with my dog and 2 cats. No problem getting them in the country - noone even wanted to see my paperwork at the airport.

Last week I rescued an abandoned female German Shepherd.Unfortunately I can't keep her as my dog and (now) 3 cats are enough for one apartment!
This dog is beautiful, very affectionate and friendly. She will make a great family pet with some training. I need to find her a good home but not sure how to do that. Anyone have any ideas/leads?

bringing your dog in is no problem, but it would be better to have its rabbies test result with you. because u will need it when u fly back to your country. also you may have the test here too, but after the blood test you have to wait 3 months to use the paper so it would be more practical to have it on your country.

[Moderated: No free ad pls. Kindly register yourself into the Istanbul Business directory]

Hi, is your site also available in English?

Thanks,

Susanne