Best part of Thailand to live...

Hi I am moving to Thailand in August after the completion of my English Teaching contract in Korea. I have never been to Thailand but love to travel, meet new people and have new experiences. I also love the laid back beach vibe I have read about in Thailand, honestly I can't imagine what there is not to like! Anyways, I am trying to figure out the best place to work in Thailand, not knowing the specific areas. I would like to be by the beach but I know that Phuket is a large, tourist area and that may not be for me. I am looking for a bigger town but maybe not one so large and crime affected. I would also like Chaing Mai up north I believe but what is the vibe up there? Beachy laid back still? Any advice about where to try and find a good English teaching position would be great! Thanks!

Hi and welcome on the forum elizabethnoelle11 :)

I hope other members will advise you on the places to be soon ;)

Regards
Armand

If you have the cash I would spend a bit of time in area's you might be interested before looking for teaching job.

You can check two sites for jobs:

ajarn.com
jobsdb.co.th

Hi, want to try Sriracha? It's a peaceful place to live, 20 kms from Pattaya (definitely there're beaches). I will quit from my full time job to be a full time writer at home in this May. And I have a house to share. I can even drive and show you around the city.
Email me at [email protected] if interested

Hi welcome to the Thailand forum.  You sound like a vibrant person ;-)

Personally I would not dream of working somewhere until I had actually visited the country as a tourist and some. This particularly applies to Thailand which despite the adverts is not always amazing and the smiles can mean a lot of different things.

Thailand is a large and diverse country.

BTW Chiang Mai is in the far north and just about as far away from a beach as you can get. 

As far as English teaching jobs go there are plenty and as "straydog" says try Ajarm.com for a good selection. However salaries vary greatly and you won't find many TEFL teachers getting rich quick, especially if you chose one of the large conurbations like Bangkok.

The coastal region South of Hua Hin is quite pleasant but you don't often see jobs advertised down here.

You might consider Samui if you fancy the island lifestyle although there are areas in Phuket that do actually remained unspoilt.

Best advice from someone who lives here: Take a month or two to travel round before you commit yourself.  Enjoy the many different regions and sub-cultures you will find here.

Good luck.

Hi all :)

I am considering trying to find a job in Thailand.  I have been in Phuket only once - one year ago, but I am tired of life here in Greece , where things are too bad at the moment and we don't know what comes next.  A teaching position would be good for me.  I wonder if I could find a placement in an english speaking school or college to teach social sciences or psychology.
The decision is not easy to make and certainly I am not going to leave my current job without having found something in advance.  I would be grateful if you could give me your opinion.We could also contact through skype: KateM12.

Kate

Hi Kate, I love Greece but I can perhaps understand why you want to move on given the current climate.

I see you are Greek and speak English(very well I am sure) however many recruiters here in Thailand are looking for native speakers when it comes to filling teaching jobs.  Native being UK USA Canada Australia and New Zealand.

That said other nationalities who speak English also find jobs here in the TEFL industry.

Generally speaking the jobs are paid adequately for you to live in Thailand but by no means well.

Straydog mentions a couple of web sites that I too would recommend, have a look what is on offer.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I have been checking out both those websites and think they will be essential in finding a job in Thailand. I love moving to places that I have never been, the last few homes I have had were completely different than the last and totally new to me, it makes it really fun for me:) We will be traveling before in SE Asia and then planning on traveling around Thailand to find a place we like and trying to find an job. Are there any other places in the south around the Phuket vicinity that are nice to live and easy to get a job? I have a TEFL and experience teaching English so I am told it will be easy for me to get a good job. Thanks again for all the advice!