Close

Moving to Mauritius with teens

We are planning to move from South Africa to Mauritius next year. We homeschool our two boys 13 & 17 (GED and Cambridge curriculums). Are there other homeschoolers in Flic en Flac or Tamarin? Are these good areas for families? Are there tennis clubs, sports centers or gyms in these areas? Any other areas recommended? Which area/ provider has the best internet (uncapped)? Any advice would be appreciated.

We are  also moving from SA to Mauritius in just a few weeks! Very excited but a bit nervous.  (3 children aged 19/17/14).There are international private schools there - very expensive though! We also did homeschooling for a while in SA but opted to go back to the GED way. Apparently, from the research that i've done, Mauritius doesn't recognise "homeschooling" as we do but I guess it's a personal decision - if you are already successful with homeschooling, I don't see why it can't be an option. I know of a few people from SA (living in Mru) doing SA homeschooling.

There is loads to do with kids with sports/out doors lifestyle. There are also many  South Africans living in the Black River area but I always feel it's important to integrate into the local culture and "mingle"!

Good luck with the move!

Paula

Hi Paula,
Thanks and good luck with your move.

Where are you moving to?
Are you doing the GED online?

There are so many questions that I suppose one needs to just jump in and figure things out for most of them!

I was hoping to find a homeschooling group (doing GED or Cambridge online) or start one when I get there.

Would love to hear about your experiences of the move and settling in.

Regards
Alex

Hi Alex

We will be moving to Black river area. We are currently in "main stream" school in Jozi and will be looking at Le Boccage (Moca area) and Charles Telfair once in Mru. I looked into the homeschooling options in Mauritius and there are a few SA moms doing it with their kids, but I've opted not to do homeschooling.

When do you plan to move there and is it because of business opportunities? There are many, many face book groups you can join (mostly ex South Africans) you can join. If you would like you can look me up on FB (Paula Darne Milligan) and we can chat through that way - I find it easier to chat that way (as opposed to having to lug out my laptop and go online)! But here if you need any advice or just for a chat!

Start preparing now as there truly is SO much to do and organize.....my "to do list" seems to be getting longer....not shorter! Ha ha

Good luck and best regards

Paula

Hi Paula,

Thanks, will look you up on Facebook.
Regards
Alex

Expatriate health insurance in Mauritius

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Mauritius

Moving to Mauritius

Find tips from professionals about moving to Mauritius

Travel insurance in Mauritius

Enjoy stress-free travel to Mauritius

Flights to Mauritius

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Mauritius

2 million members!

Watch later