Living in Uppsala

You are an expatriate living in Uppsala, or you used to  work and live in Uppsala.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Uppsala?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Uppsala?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Uppsala?

Thanks in advance for your participation

Uppsala is very diverse in terms of cultures and attitudes.  The fact that there is a large student ratio helps in the assimilation process.  This is not to imply youth, but the fact that lots of older people have returned to class to broaden their job prospective or learn a new skill set.

Employment is rough if you are not fluent in Swedish.  The best place to meet people is at one of the fika (coffee) spots, library or Swedish language courses.

I like the Uppsala life. Uppsala is in Swedish terms a rather large city (Sweden's 4th biggest pop.) but it has a very nice, relaxed smalltown feel to it.

Finding accomodation can be really tricky as a lot of the smaller apartments are being hunted down by the students. It may change soon though as a lot of new housings are being built/planned.

I would think friends are easy to make if you are planning on studying as the town as a whole has a huge amount of students. Apart from studying it may be harder. There is a pretty developed cafe-culture so it might not be entirely impossible ;)

If you plan on moving here, send me an email.

Uppsala is definitely a lovely place to stay. We have been here for one year and really like it.

Uppsala is amazing although it might be a bit dull if you are moving in from a big city like Stockholm, NYC, or Toronto :)

Housing is a huge problem out there. For that matter it is terrible throughout sweden. You could check out: bostadstockholm.info for apartment rentals.

- W

Hi all,
my work send me to Uppsala for 6 months. I have the challenge to find an apartment to rent in less that 2 months. Where and how to succeed in?
All our advices and information will be great for us (1 wife and 2 children)

thanks ;)

Taupi:
If your company is sending you here, you may want to ask their help in locating an apartment for such a short term.  Many places and services require leases here and most of them are multi year commitments. 

Large companies have access to temporary apartments and or can contact a Realtor that can perhaps assist you.  Good luck and also check areas outside Uppsala, they may be more available.

Hello,
My plan is to take an early retirement, then move in with my partner in Uppsala. I was wondering about the weather. Is it difficult for someone from the U.S. to adjust to it?
Thank you,
Michele

Hi Michela.
I am from New Jersey, originally. The difference is mainly we are land locked and so not so much variation.  The temps range from about 35-45 degrees F every day in the fall.  We have not had any snow, but last year it snowed on Halloween.  I love the cold weather, so I am probably the worst person to ask, lol.  We have a vacation house in Särna where it can be -30 in the winter (celcius)

I prefer the cold also, haha .. the summers here in Ohio are too humid for me. I can imagine beautiful, comfortable summers in Sweden  :)

Hello all, I'm considering to move there the next year, my son's father is living in Stockholm, the question is: how easy or dificult could be for me to move there ? I mean, all the procedure can be easy if I travel at once with my child and how or where I have to address first. Please someone could advice me ?

hi!...i am a filipina tryng to find some filipinos who lived in uppsala,.dont hesitate to contact me or send a message here's my email address [email protected],hoping to hear from you guys soon...thx...

I have been in Uppsala for just over a month now and I can say we are both happy here. My boyfriend is Swedish - we met in Oxford (England) two and a half years ago then moved to Warsaw (Poland) a year and a half ago - and he is so pleased to be back in his beloved Sverige. I have found everybody I've met pleasant, and everyone under sixty-odd can speak English, the younger ones better than some English people I know!
Uppsala itself is a blessing for us both as he has a great job, it's a city so we have all the conveniences available, but it also has a smaller town-like feel so I don't feel overwhelmed (not being a city type). We were lucky to find a flat easily as one of our friends was moving out so we took it on, in the middle of the city, close to everything it seems. The streets and buildings are so clean compared to what I'm used to, and there are few ugly buildings.
While the prices do alarm (especially as we last lived in Poland which is incredibly cheap), I know that the products have the quality to back up such expense. We mostly shop for food at Hemköp as it's cheaper than our local ICA, which is still good to pop for milk or bread, and recently had a trip to IKEA (ten minutes on the bus). Not my sort of stuff, but very popular for it's low price. I'm hoping shopping for clothes will be just as easy!
I'm still waiting for my registration to come through, after which I can get a personnummer and have all doors open to me; I'm trying not to be impatient though it's been a month. I'm looking forward to starting those free Swedish lessons! I haven't done nearly enough exploring despite all this free time on my hands, as I'm shy and easily daunted, but I'll get there as I know Uppsala has many beautiful and interesting attractions to visit.
I just received a note telling me I have a parcel to collect - my first one here - so now to conquer the postal system, and get my head around there being no post offices. Perhaps I'll wait until the thermometer reads something less melty than 33C though...