Registering a birth in Mexico

Hello everyone,

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in Mexico? What was the experience like?

Who is required to register the birth, and where? Can it be either the mother or father?

What documents are usually required in Mexico?

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed?

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare? Will your child be able to have dual nationality?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I see nobody has answered. Well you probably have already registered but I'll answer anyway. Either mother or father can register although it's always better if both can be available.It does,nt take long less than an hour.
Yes you must register with the consulate of your country of origin if you wish for citizenship for the child. In Mexico you will register at the Registro Civil.

the foreign parent will need passport,visa and birth cert that has an apostille stamp and has been translated into Spanish.You wont get that birth cert back.Plus two photocopies of everything

Hello Priscilla,

I actually recently came across the same issue, since I wanted to get my son Dual Citizenship for US and Mexico, but he was born in Texas. The Mexican consulate wanted an apostille on his birth certificate, but I was pretty confused since I never heard of such a thing before. I googled around and contacted National Apostille, Inc, and they did it for me in a few days.

The Mexican consulate wanted some other paperwork too, as you mentioned, but the apostille was the thing I was not familiar with. Hopefully your issues have been resolved. Wishing you all the best!

Hello GeorgeyFG,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Priscilla is part of the Expat.com team and this topic is part of regular topics launched by the team to allow members to interact around a specific subject.

Nevertheless, I would like to thank you for your first contribution to the Mexico forum.  :)

If you have any more information to share, please don't hold back. You may participate to more recent threads or start your own thread on the Mexico forum about whichever subject sparking your interest.

All the best,

Diksha
Team Expat.com