Registering a birth in Ireland

Hello everyone,

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in Ireland? What was the experience like?

Who is required to register the birth, and where? Can it be either the mother or father?

What documents are usually required in Ireland?

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed?

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare? Will your child be able to have dual nationality?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Well it was a long time I registered my daughter in Dublin then.
Father does not have to be there, my daughters was not anyway, dont remember the documents but it was straight forward.
Marriage cert, I think proof of address and paperwork from hospital where your child was born.

Citizen Information is always good for that kind of thing.
Check this link
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/bi … _baby.html

Quite straight forward. Thats what I love about Ireland, things are not complicated really and usually people in these kind of offices so friendly and helpful.

Concerning dual nationality it is that you have to be three years in Ireland before your child can have an Irish passport. My daughter has a German pp as I am German and I was not three years in Ireland when she was born so she can not have an Irish pp.

Hope that helps

To register a birth in Ireland, you must have a PPS number. 

If you are married one or both parents can register the birth.  You will need your PPS number, in-date photographic proof of identification such as a passport, driving licence, public service card or age card.
You will need your original marriage certificate.  If you were married outside of Ireland and the certificate is not in English, you will need the marriage certificate translated by a recognised translation company.

Married couples cannot register a birth if they were married outside of Ireland and do not have the original certificate and translation.

If you are single, you need a PPS number and in-date photographic proof of identification.  If the father wants to be named on the birth certificate both parents must attend to register together.  A single mother can register on her own, a single father cannot.

For foreign nationals, all the above is needed as well.  If a visa is required for being here in Ireland the original documentation needs to be produced.

A mosque marriage is not recognised as a civil marriage.  A Catholic marriage which has not been registered with a civil registration office is not recognised until registered.

If you are not married you are single.  Partners and cohabiting couples are single.

You  can register a birth at any civil registration office in the country.  It doesn't have to be in the county where the child was born or even where you are living.

To register a birth is free.  To get a birth certificate is €20.

If the registration is done before the child is three months old, the  PPS number for the child and the children's allowance details will automatically be sent to your address.  If the birth is a late registration, i.e. more than three months, the parent/s have to register for the PPSN and the children's allowance themselves.