Registering a birth in England

Hello everyone,

Have you had to or are you going to register a birth in England? What was the experience like?

Who is required to register the birth, and where? Can it be either the mother or father?

What documents are usually required in England?

How long does the process to register a birth take? Are there any time limits in which the registration must be completed?

Did you register the birth with your home country and how did that process compare? Will your child be able to have dual nationality?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi. I am from the Philippines and my partner is a british citizen.

I register my daughter within the 1st month after birth, you will have to register in the fist 42 days.
Since we are not married I went with my partner to the register office after booking an appointment and we were able to register her in just a day if I remember it correctly. Then requested a birth certificate which is available in the next couple of days. Since I am from the Philippines I did not bother to register her to the Philippine Consulate since she will not benefit having dual citizenship. She can visit the Philippines for 30 days without any visa. In case we are going to stay in the Philippines for more than 30 days I think it will not be a problem for her to apply for a visa to stay longer.