Living in Florence

You are an expatriate living in Florence, or you used to  work and live in Florence.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Florence?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Florence?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Florence?

Thanks in advance for your participation

There is a very vibrant and interesting traditional painting community based around the three ateliers (Cecil Studios, the Florence Academy of Art, and the Angel Academy).

Lots of students who graduate from one of these stay on and become expats. At the moment we are taking over all the beautiful nineteenth-century painting studios around Piazza Donatello (built when Florence was the capital).

Italy has become very expensive lately though, just a heads up.

I found it easy to find accommodation and make friends by going to one of the art schools. After 17 years here I have a lot of Florentine friends, though that took longer.

Anyone interested in traditional painting would find this a great place to live.

What's the best way to find an inexpensive, no-frills, studio or efficiency accomodation with private bath in Florence for 2-4 months.   I'm an about to retire college professor and would like to re-visit Florence with a view to wandering and inhaling the sights and beauty of the city.

I am Tony from Bangalore, India. I am  a Allopatic/Ayurvedic Nurse by profession. Can you provide me some idea how to get a work visa to Italy.
One of my friend gone there as a house maid/care taker to Italy later he registered there as a nurse presently he is a staff nurse. But I lost the contact with him.
Can you get me some idea.
Also I offer you that if you need any help or a company doesn't hesitate to contact me.
Thanks
Tonyantony
Ph:+91 9742770407

marcdalessio wrote:

There is a very vibrant and interesting traditional painting community based around the three ateliers (Cecil Studios, the Florence Academy of Art, and the Angel Academy).

Lots of students who graduate from one of these stay on and become expats. At the moment we are taking over all the beautiful nineteenth-century painting studios around Piazza Donatello (built when Florence was the capital).

Italy has become very expensive lately though, just a heads up.

I found it easy to find accommodation and make friends by going to one of the art schools. After 17 years here I have a lot of Florentine friends, though that took longer.

Anyone interested in traditional painting would find this a great place to live.