How do I start the process?

I am currently living in Cape Town, working at an International Law firm doing transcribing in Sea Point and also studying Dispensing Optics at University.

I would like to work in Rome (preferably at an Optometrist as an Optician) but I have no idea where to start to get the ball rolling? 

Are there any agencies anybody can recommend or any advice that will help me get to Rome?

I would really appreciate any advice :lol:

Hi and welcome on the forum Monark :)

Are you intending to work there? In what field? Maybe you could tell a little more about your profile and projects! It will be easier for others who want to help you.

Regards
Armand

Hi Armand.  Thanks for the reply - still new with the whole profile thing, lol.  I want to work there, preferably at an optometrist as I am studying Dispensing Optics.  I'll put more info in my profile! :D

Hi Monark,

You might have to visit Italy a couple of times to job hunt. Getting a work visa or any kinda visa other than the visit one is near impossible. Employers generally won't help, because they would have to prove that they cannot find your "profile" in Italy...which will be difficult for them to prove.

Do you speak Italian? Its near impossible to find a job if you don't speak the language since Italians don't really speak much English. They are always accommodating and never rude but they prefer to speak in their home language and therefore, rightly so, you need to speak at least some Italian to work here.

Best way is actually to come in through a school, sign up for courses etc. But otherwise unless you already have a job lined up and the employer willing to give you a proper contract you can use to get your permesso, its quite difficult.

Scroll down a bit on my blog to the Immigration Italia post(http://worldcitizeninrome.blogspot.com/), I've written about my personal experience about getting residence permits here. Your situation might be a bit different, but the struggles with the bureaucracy will be similar if not almost the same.

So definitely do your research. Its not very easy, but Italians at least are a warm lot and life is pleasant here. Any reason you are considering Rome and not more economically successful countries?

Cheers!
Neeya
http://worldcitizeninrome.blogspot.com/