Best currency to use while visiting Playa del Carmen

Hi all,

We will be travelling to Playa del Carmen in Oct for 2 months, to check out the area, I would like to know if the American dollar  is widely accepted or would I be better off with pesos. If I need pesos where is the best place to convert.
Thanks in advance.

Rukie59

Pesos are accepted by everyone in Playa. Best place to get them is at an ATM. Not a stand-alone ATM, but one attached to a bank. They are a bit more secure. Tell your bank that you are vacationing in Mexico and how long you will be there.

Rukie59 wrote:

Hi all,

We will be travelling to Playa del Carmen in Oct for 2 months, to check out the area, I would like to know if the American dollar  is widely accepted or would I be better off with pesos. If I need pesos where is the best place to convert.
Thanks in advance.

Rukie59

Good advice from joaquinx ,

I would only add ,that they do also take dollars, but unless you are really current in the exchange rate you are depending on if they are current on the rate, and giving you a fair exchange. When i am down there they always give me the cost in dollars, but I always have pesos. That's surprising to them.

Go to a bank that has the ATMS inside the bank entry. Don't use the AtMs that are freestanding anywhere including the U.S. I use HSBC bank but there are others.  Be sure to remember to indicate you have no further transactions and get your card back. Some people forget to do that. The machine will time out and your card will be in the machine, I saw it happen at the airport a few years ago. I would also get as much money as is reasonable once rather than make multiple small withdrawals. In my recent trip to Cancun I withdrew 7000.00 pesos  which took me through 2 weeks of expenses like food and some nonscheduled purchases.  How long it lasts depends on your living arrangements, and spending habits.

Isla plaza in Cancun has manned exchange units , which seem fine and many people use them

Have a nice visit.

Thanks for the input really appreciate it😉