Close

question concerning malaria medication

Should I be taking maleria meds before I get to Saigon?  I have a thirty day supply and did not know how serious I should take the maleria thing.  If I do start taking them is there a place to get them refilled?

If you stay only around Saigon, no, but if you were to go in the Mekong or countryside it's suggested you do.

Ask this - do local take them and, if not, are they dropping like flies?

A mix of creams and mozzie killing things do the job nicely.

Should I be taking maleria meds before I get to Saigon?  I have a thirty day supply and did not know how serious I should take the maleria thing.  If I do start taking them is there a place to get them refilled?

Depends on where you will be based. If you are in the city unlikely you need any. For example in District 1 you may find the odd one or two in the hotel room, but as soon as you turn on the AC they wont stick around! However as WillyBaldy says, you may need them of you venture to the rural parts of Saigon, you will find them there especially in when the sun sets!

There are phamacy's in District 1 if you require malaria tablets there. Best bet is to get an extra supply from your country, easier and hassle free.

Enjoy your trip to Saigon.  :) 

:cool:

thank you. We will be living in Saigon for two years so we will look for a place to fill malaria meds if we travel.

Dengue is more prevalent in the urban and suburban areas here In Vietnam.

Dengue Fever Fact Sheet from U.S. Consulate General, Ho Chi MInh City

Not that every second person here is catching Dengue, but I do know quite a few in Saigon (my neighbours, distant in-laws and couple of expats) who had it recently.

This is the peak  season for Dengue.
Recent news on Dengue in VN

Pls consult your Dr. to stay prepared to deal with it (just in case!).

Expatriate health insurance in Saigon

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Saigon

Moving to Saigon

Find tips from professionals about moving to Saigon

Travel insurance in Saigon

Enjoy stress-free travel to Saigon

Flights to Saigon

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Saigon

2 million members!

Watch later