Toilets

Is flushing a toilet really prohibited? Or is this only in the outskirts or country areas?

Flushing a toilet is just fine -- it's putting toilet paper down it that is often not allowed.  This is due to the pipe widths and general infrastructure for waste/sewer in many parts of Mexico.  You will often find a small trash can next to the toilet.  Just put your TP in there.  I know it seems kinda icky at first, but you do get used to it!  In fact, when we returned to the US from Mexico, I had to retrain myself to put TP in the toilet and flush it down!

Peglove wrote:

Is flushing a toilet really prohibited? Or is this only in the outskirts or country areas?

That is something I have never seen or heard. I have seen places which ask you to not put paper in the toilet most notably Isla Mujeres. I have seen many without toilet seats, and many more without toilet paper. Always good to have some paper on you. But no one has ever said don't flush a toilet, and I have been in many places in Mexico. Where did you encounter this ?

Guess I said it wrong I really meant flushing the paper,not the toilet, really can't see myself getting use to this if it is so.

Older homes had a 2 in. drain pipe which clogged when paper is flushed. Newer homes have a 4 in. drain pipe so you can flush the paper. Care must be taken if living in a low area as the drains will drain slower so even with large pipes you will have to trash the paper. In public toilets and well a friends houses, the rule is, if there is a waste can, use it, else flush.

Thank you so much,got it.

your not alone,flush it down the toilet and dont worry about it.

stinkyboy1 wrote:

your not alone,flush it down the toilet and dont worry about it.

My amigo says it has more to do with septic tanks than anything else. Some people, he says think paper fills the tank faster. Of course that is not true, especially with toilet paper here which can hardly stay together long enough to use it. He flushes also. JaJa

Take care . I rent a very old house in the middle of a very old part of town . The landlord said due to the age of the plumbing ( city and house ) toilet paper will clog the pipes . It is in my lease if the pipes get plugged with toilet paper I will pay the plumber.

Mel01 wrote:

Take care . I rent a very old house in the middle of a very old part of town . The landlord said due to the age of the plumbing ( city and house ) toilet paper will clog the pipes . It is in my lease if the pipes get plugged with toilet paper I will pay the plumber.

This is the problem with old houses. The master drain pipe is around 2" in diameter and the slope is shallow thus paper will clog it.

Mel01 wrote:

So, I don't know if this is true of every single city. But here, as a old house ages it cannot be rebuilt until it has deteriorated  ( historical you know)  When it reaches a specific state of deterioration the owners can rebuild much of it. A falling apart building is not usually legally occupied. The neighborhood around me has 2-3 houses in that condition, they are usually boarded up and unoccupied. 2 of them are currently being rebuilt, or restored. Old small pipes are not eing used. As much as possible things are being modernized while maintaining the character of the structure.
The house I live in is 200 years old, it was restored 8-or 10 years ago. I flush the toilets, so you might want to do some investigation about your area. I will check with my friend, he has lived all over Mexico, so he would likely know. Given Mexico's reverence for historical sites I suspect it is a common rule.

While visiting San Miguel de Allende I stayed in a casita where we were asked to put TP in the trash instead of flushing.  The house was built in 1983.  I don't know what size pipe they used.  Another problem I've noticed in some houses, restaurants etc. is the odor coming from the toilet.  What causes this? Is there no vapor seal?

Putting the paper in the basket rather than flushing it is common practice across the country as far as I know.  Especially in the old colonial towns, the plumbing can be old, sewer systems antiquated.  Drains, including the sinks and showers often don't have a trap in them.  That's why there can be odor.  In the house I built in 2005, I insisted on the "goose-neck" traps for all drains.

CasaColibri wrote:

Putting the paper in the basket rather than flushing it is common practice across the country as far as I know.  Especially in the old colonial towns, the plumbing can be old, sewer systems antiquated.  Drains, including the sinks and showers often don't have a trap in them.  That's why there can be odor.  In the house I built in 2005, I insisted on the "goose-neck" traps for all drains.

It's not all over Mexico, there are only two areas where it is done consistently that I have encountered or heard about,  SMA apparently, and Isla Mujeres. I have traveled all over Mexico and have found very few places where they ask that paper be put in trash cans. The only odor I find around here is in street drains. The age of the house isn't a factor either. I live in a 200 y.o. house.
The issue is a cost issue mostly, better cost more, heavy toilet use with paper may mean the septic system needs to be cleaned more often. Paper breaks down but not quite as fast as waste. I have talked with others ( natives) and it seems that the poorer the city the more likely the issue, but then it often doesn't matter because there are no toilet seats or toilet paper. Even in some of the better off cities and restaurants you might find no seats. Be sure to carry paper with you just in case.

CasaColibri wrote:

It is a very common thing to do in almost all of Mexico. Those who don´t travel in Mexico will not know this of course.

And those that do travel in Mexico know it's not as common as some people seem to think. Of course if you are traveling in a limited area on a very tight budget, you would be much more likely to see it . Because cost is the big factor.