Car Insurance Claim with an IDP and UK driving license

Dear All,

I have recently moved for a short period to India from the UK due to family reasons. I bought a Mercedes B180 and insured the car with Bajaj Allianz.

Recently the car met with an accident leading to breaking of rear wind shield.

When I submitted my application for the claim, the surveyor informed me that since I have an IDP and not Indian driving license, they cannot process my claim of 46000.

My argument was that even after informing several times at the time of insuring that I have only an international driving permit with UK license and not an Indian driving license, they insured me.

Any advice on what I could do? Is this fair on me? Any experience with the rules ( I guess no one follows)?

Thank you in advance for your comments

Fear Mukku,

Firstly write to consumer forum with the documents you submitted to the insurance company at the time of insuring your car and mention that you were not informed of any such thing and the insurance company insured the car with the documents submitted by you.

And now when you are claiming for an accident they say that since you are non Indian we cannot process the claim.

You can insure your car if you are non Indian but can not claim for accidents because you are non Indian ( what rule is this)

Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely try the consumer forum. I just cannot believe it that I can drive with an international license, get insured but cannot claim if an accident occurs.