Close

Moving to Germany, legal formalities

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. My name is Alejandro, I'm a 24 year old student from Argentina.
I want to move to Germany in the following months. Many reasons, study being the most important one. I still have to decide where to exactly, but I'm planning to apply for a Master in Weimar. I'm a musician, student of orchestral conducting.

I'm interested in finding out what are the formalities I should go through to legally be able to live in Germany. First of all, and most important, I have a dual citizenship. I've got both Argentinian and Italian citizenships/passports. So, besides, that, what do I need? Residence permit, any legal documents, anything? I've lived in Europe before, but no longer than a few months and travelling a lot, so I have no reference whatsoever. Any information will be deeply appreciated.
I look forward to your answers!
Thank you,
good day everyone!

As an Italian (EU citizen) you automatically have a residence permit in Germany and do not need to apply for anything before moving here.
You just need to register your residential address at the nearest town hall or registry office within a week of moving there.
Please note that you do need to join a German health insurance and you cannot apply for government handouts, so have to earn your living costs yourself.

Thank you very much beppi for your answer.
May I ask, what German health insurance would you recommend? which one is the cheapest?

There are twop sperate health insurance systems in Germany: The public scheme and the private scheme.
In most cases, you cannot choose which one to join: It depends on your job, how much you earn and how you were previously insured (and the rules are rather complicated).
In the public scheme, differences in price and coverage are very small, so it doesn't really matter which insurance company you join.
The private scheme has huge differences and can range from much cheaper than public (if you are young, single and healthy) to unaffordable (if you are old, frail and have family). So you must shop around, compare and come to a decision yourself.
Once you joined one or the other, it is also very difficult to change (which can bite you if e.g. in the private scheme fees go up more than expected with age).

Expatriate health insurance in Germany

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Germany

Moving to Germany

Find tips from professionals about moving to Germany

Travel insurance in Germany

Enjoy stress-free travel to Germany