Economy in Puerto Rico

I want to move to Puerto Rico, My husband has a house mortgaged free. we want to go to school. We also have three children, one child who has autism. My question is ...Is it really that bad in Puerto Rico? My family members have told me not to move there because of what is going on in Puerto Rico. but could it be that bad?
what is your experience?

Hi ajasmine,
Welcome to the forum,
Bad is a relative term so it depends how things compare to where you live.
The goverment is broke so services and goverment jobs are being curtailed. However the local economy is still moving and the malls are full of people.

In order to properly address your concerns and those of your family and friends we need to know what those concerns are.

I am well known not to sugar coat anything, it is a great island but like anywhere in the world, it is not perfect.

You mention kids which means schools and or home schooling. You have not said anything about your knowledge or ability to learn Spanish and we do not know about your need for a job or not or your budget for housing which may affect your location and schools you can afford.
Rey

Hello Rey
thanks for replying

My husband is a native Puerto Rican, we speak Spanish but my children do not. they are ages 7, 8 and 1. Housing is not a problem, his mother has a *mortgage free house down there. so we don't have to pay rent. its located in toa baja. My children most likely would be going to privet school. My son has autism so he would get school for free and I have been looking at a school in san juan one of which is Gersh Academy. My daughter would also go to privet regular education. My husband works in the manufacturing industries. I am a stay at home mom and will be studying online. I currently live in Tampa FL. which to me is not that different. the schools and health care suck here and we don't get the same pay like up north.

ajasmine wrote:

Hello Rey
thanks for replying

My husband is a native Puerto Rican, we speak Spanish but my children do not. they are ages 7, 8 and 1. Housing is not a problem, his mother has a *mortgage free house down there. so we don't have to pay rent. its located in toa baja. My children most likely would be going to privet school. My son has autism so he would get school for free and I have been looking at a school in san juan one of which is Gersh Academy. My daughter would also go to privet regular education. My husband works in the manufacturing industries. I am a stay at home mom and will be studying online. I currently live in Tampa FL. which to me is not that different. the schools and health care suck here and we don't get the same pay like up north.

Glad there are some of those worries out of the way.
Very true all the above.
You are in luck that we have at least 4 members with children in the metro area that can probably speak to you about schools and kid issues. Give them a few days.