Close

Direct Deposit of USA Social Security to Vietnam

Hello, I just read on this website https://www.ssa.gov/deposit/foreign.htm
that as of 1 Aug. 2017 you can now direct deposit USA Social Security checks to Vietnam. Has anyone tried this?

Additionally, if Social Security can do this then the Veterans Admin should also be able to do it. Has anyone tried this?

Thank you

Mike pls look at it again. It's in 2 parts and VN is on the 2nd one listed as:

COUNTRIES WITHOUT SSA'S
INTERNATIONAL DIRECT DEPOSIT

Rick

Thanks Budman, I thought it was too good to be true.

You need to understand what you are reading.  The 2nd part list countries that do not have a social security agreement (SSA) with the USA and whether a country has signed an agreement or not, it does not prevent a U.S. person from receiving Social Security in a country without a SSA (e.g., many countries do not have one).  For example, some SSA agreements are agreements between the USA and the other signatory country in which SS benefits/payments etc. have been agreed to so that if you live/work in the other country or their citizens live/work in the USA, you/they do not have to pay social security to both countries, only 1.  In addition, based on the listing, there are people in Vietnam receiving their SS electronically.

Your best bet is to contact the US Embassy and ask or just have it deposited into a US bank account.  You can use ATM's in VN to withdraw.  There are US retirees living in VN and receiving SS somehow.  There are other threads on this topic, just do a search.  I am sure some of them may provide some additional advice on what they are currently doing with respect to SS.

It's certainly legal to retire in all the countries not on the list while receiving SS that is direct deposited into a US bank account. 

It's also acceptable to let the bank know that you're moving to VN but keeping the US account in order to:

1/  paying the bills
2/  transferring money to another bank in VN
3/  withdrawing money via ATM in VN 

The only requirement is a US address listed in the account.  We told Citibank that we're using daughter's address, and they didn't have any problem with it.

Since we have to file federal income tax return no matter where we live, our living overseas while receiving retirement income in the US is not a secret.

I wouldn't deposit my US retirement income to a VN bank even if it's allowed.  There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip, I wouldn't want to have to trace the path my retirement check is travelling before it gets to me.

vndreamer :

In addition, based on the listing, there are people in Vietnam receiving their SS electronically.

In the page linked by Michaelray, if you look at the footnote in the fine print at the bottom of the list of COUNTRIES WITHOUT SSA'S INTERNATIONAL DIRECT DEPOSIT, you will see this:  "*Beneficiaries who live in these countries are re-routing their international direct deposit (IDD) payments to countries that participate in SSA’s IDD program"  This footnote applies to the recipients who are listed in Vietnam.  There are 158 receiving checks presumably at the consulate or Embassy.  There are 340 with direct deposits to US banks  (I am sure this number is way lower than reality), and there are 9 with "INTERNATIONAL DIRECT DEPOSIT PAYMENTS"  This last number would seem to be what the footnote refers to.  This would be people who reside in Vietnam but have their checks deposited in a third country such as Hong Kong, Singapore, or the Philippines that has allowable direct deposits.  If one was making regular business trips to one of these countries then access to funds would be reasonably convenient but nine is hardly a large number.

Michaelray :

Hello, I just read on this website https://www.ssa.gov/deposit/foreign.htm
that as of 1 Aug. 2017 you can now direct deposit USA Social Security checks to Vietnam. Has anyone tried this?

Additionally, if Social Security can do this then the Veterans Admin should also be able to do it. Has anyone tried this?

Thank you

The Expats in Thailand have their SSA Checks deposited in the New York Branch of Bangkok Bank - and draw money from it locally in their account in Thailand with no bank charges  -  trick is you have to open an account in both, open the BKK account number first, then use the address of Bangkok Bank in New York.  Works just fine - There is no reason this won't work as well in Vietnam, as there is a Bangkok Bank branch in both Hanoi & Saigon - if you are living in Saigon, visit the Bangkok Bank and see if that is possible.  The other options posted are viable as well.  Most banks in Vietnam only let you draw 3 mil from ATM's at a time, credit withdrawals inside the banks will incur a 3 or 4% charge..........I got caught doing that once, cost me a bundle  - never again.   I now transfer money directly into my Viet account and use a debit card.

One warning for those that have their SSA Checks direct deposited into a Foreign Bank - the SSA will require you to contact them yearly(??)  to check to see if you are still alive, fail to check in with SSA directly, your check stops, happened to a lot of friends of mine in Bangkok using Citibank as a foreign deposit for their SSA Check.  If you depend on the SSA deposits to live on, tread carefully, there have been  many incidents of a US Citizen dying and family not reporting it to continue to receive the SSA Checks in Philipines, Germany and Korea and Latin America.  Just Saying think before you leap.

Have another look at this website; it is saying that you cannot direct deposit to Vietnam. Persons who live in VN are re-routing to countries that can accept direct deposits. The SS admin people as well as the US post office will not send or forward to VN.

Dr. G  is right,  if you are declaring residency outside the USA, you can not have your Social Security check deposited into a foreign bank. This is according to the SS office in Manila, Philippines who handle foreign residency in Asia. Direct deposit is available in Philippines only.

As tunnelrat69 says, a lot of the apprehensions of the SSA come from having systems in place to reliably report deaths.  Although this is also a problem in other countries, there is a special problem with respect to Vietnam.  This is that vital records are not kept by the civic government but by a political party.  Every Vietnamese gets copies of birth, marriage, and death certificates from their local party HQ.   It would be possible for the US to enter into a reporting agreement with Vietnam's civic government but it can't enter into such an agreement with the Communist Party of Vietnam because the signatories would not be parallel.  To do so would be like Vietnam entering into an agreement with the Republicans or Democrats in the US, or Labour or the Conservatives in the UK, which of course would never happen.

The SS not only will ask for verification of residency if they are depositing into a foreign bank on the available countries they will do for,  but they also ask for verification of foreign address yearly in June or July, If you do not reply they will send you another request for verification in October and if you don't reply and comply they will cut your SS benefits off in February the following year approximately 5 months.  I know it happen to me when in Bangkok as I never got the notice by mail to the hotel I was living.  Had to go through Manila office to get reinstated which took only a few day and monies were on account

Don't ask the embassy about SS, ask the office in Manila.

I stopped by the local SS office last time I was in the US and the woman told me DO NOT call the toll-free number because they only have basic information.

If you live in VN, the easiest way to get your benefits is direct deposit to a US account; a most credit unions don't charge a fee for international withdrawals.

Indeed they will cut off your benefits if you fail to send back the verification letter. And they do not mince words. When it happened to me, they said " submit this form and we will present it to the committee to see if you can ever draw SS again". Had mine cut off.

Diazo :

Indeed they will cut off your benefits if you fail to send back the verification letter. And they do not mince words. When it happened to me, they said " submit this form and we will present it to the committee to see if you can ever draw SS again". Had mine cut off.

Were they restored or did you lose them altogether?

THIGV :

In the page linked by Michaelray, if you look at the footnote in the fine print at the bottom of the list of COUNTRIES WITHOUT SSA'S INTERNATIONAL DIRECT DEPOSIT, you will see this:  {snip} There are 158 receiving checks presumably at the consulate or Embassy.  {snip}

Does anyone know if you have to pick up the check every month?

Or will they hold them for you for a couple months? Living in Dalat, I don't make it to Saigon monthly.

Thanks.

No, now if you have it direct deposited to your US bank account you do not have to visit the embassy at all. It is very seemkess and nice now. Unlike before. We no longer have to hide or play tricks. And yes John they restored them both times. The second one was really not an issue just time travel that things a bit confused. But the first time my south end puckered up pretty good.

I will add tgat unless you use a VPN you can not access my SSA.com from here. But here VPN is a real necessity much of the time. I use Provon which is highly rated and I have lined it.

How the heck do you edit with the iOS version. At any rate the VPN I typed needs correction as do other spellchecker errors. But the VPN is PureVPN

Diazo :

I will add tgat unless you use a VPN you can not access my SSA.com from here. But here VPN is a real necessity much of the time. I use Provon which is highly rated and I have lined it.

Thanks. I am very happy with StrongVPN, but don't need it for ssa.gov.

Just wait!

I take it John that you are not yet drawing SS and this not on the myssa.com it maybe .gov? But once you are actually enrolled they do not like people with CN IP addresses. And several others as well. But I always have to trim on my VPN to deal with SSA. Maybe it is just my computer.

Just now thinking of applying. Yes, it was ssa.gov. I changed to the VPN when they started asking stuff I don't want stolen, but it never blinked.

Will see later if it's needed, but probably a good idea even if it's not.

Just connect before you contact mysocialsecurity.com or whatever their link is( fortunately I do not have to use it often). I connect via a San Francisco server. Then I have no problems. You can also call them. But it can be a pain as you have to do it in the middle of the night and be put on hold for an hour or two. Had to change my direct deposit the other day and it all worked fine using the VPN.

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy stress-free travel to Vietnam

Flights to Vietnam

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Vietnam

2 million members!

Watch later