Close

Working for NGO or starting a NGO?

Hello
Is there anyone around who is working for a Nepali registered NGO or has their own NGO that might be able to answer some questions?

Firstly, I'm thinking of working in a friends NGO in Nepal, but we're not sure about visas for foreigners? Is it possible to get a 3-5 year visa, and do I need to be earning a specific amount of money? Is it difficult to get the Visa?

Secondly, I understand that to register an NGO in Nepal, 7 Nepali citizens are needed. Can we also include 2 foreigners as well?

I know I'll have to go to immigration and ask questions, but if someone already knows a little, it will help.

Thanks!
Sarah

I founded an NGO after the earthquakes and so many NGOs were started the government is limiting them. As a foreigner, you are not allowed to sit on the board and I am grateful for our board for not being problematic to our mission. You literally have no control of anything.

Someone told me they were on a 'volunteer' visa, but according to people who work at the immigration service, there isn't a volunteer visa. You are really not allowed to work here in any way whatsoever. But Nepal is grateful for the people who come to volunteer quietly and then go home.

The problem is over 40% unemployment and a European with a degree ends up doing the laundry for an orphanage; there is a woman who needs that job. Volunteers get exploited and social workers keep the lion's share of donations. I am not a social worker and fund most of our agency's expenses myself.

So with that negative stuff out of the way, I would like to thank you for your big, kind heart for wanting to make a difference here. If you'd like to work with an NGO you are welcome to hook your dream up to the Kay Garnay projects. We can help with fundraising or whatever you need.

I'm just an expat from the US on a pension, so we are very small. You can check our projects at http://KayGarnay.org  not that our website is so up to date. We mostly do silly projects like our last one. We gave our villagers a tree who had a death this past year for Gia Jatra. Prior to that, a donor left some money and we bought 100 dictionaries for the 8-10 grade students at our government school.

We mostly self-fund through our website sales at TraditionalArtofNepal.com and will have another site up for other cottage industry products. But, yes, we would be happy to talk with anyone with a dream to help Nepal for partnerships. Just send me a message.

Ok great, definitely think about that!

I used to live in Nepal actually before the earthquake, and have been in India for 15 years now. Our daughter is now 3, so we're wanting to create a stable life etc rather than travelling around here and there.

Can I private message you from here, or can you send me your email?

Here's my personal view. Keep things simple is my advice.
1. Through friends and contacts, identify an existing duly registered International organization, a so-called INGO, that is already well implanted and actively working in Nepal in a field that interests you.
2. Locate their head office through website or other, and submit your Curriculum Vitae/Bio-data to them directly, being sure to state all your qualifications. You may find the INGO in question - in contrast to a locally nepal-based NGO - is headquartered in New York, Chicago, Rome or some other location.
3. As they say, don't put all your eggs in one basket! Send your CV with a good cover letter to as many INGO's as you can find, like 5-20, the more the better, all in the field of your choice. Don't forget to include a nice photo of yourself.
4. By all means, discuss with them directly and not locally in Nepal (who are unlikely to be in a position to decide anyway, without referral) and see if for the kind of job you are looking for, the INGO - is in a position to offer you the "specific amount of money" you have in mind? We can presume that whatever that figure is, the amount of your remuneration will be made payable to you in dollars or some other convertible currency, which will be a great advantage for you, over being paid in non-convertible nepali rupees. The amount or level of that remuneration is likely to be higher too, than it might otherwise have been if awarded to you locally, in Nepal.
By the same token, see what other perks, housing allowance, insurance protection, health benefits, etc. they can offer and, of course, take up with them the term or duration of your assignment to Nepal. If you are considering a long term assignment of up to 3-5 years in Nepal, bounce that off to them and see how they respond? You may find that 5 years may be a bit long, but who knows, they may well and favorably consider, say, 2-3 years?
5. Take my advice, let the INGO take care of the Visa question on your behalf, and most likely through the lawyer they have already  retained in Kathmandu and who handles their affairs...so you DO NOT have to do it! Don't get involved is my best advice.
If someone has to deal with Immigration, let these other guys do it. Besides, I think you will find that the Administration that regulates NGOs in Nepal is the Social Welfare Council (SWC) and they are the ones who call the shots.
                                                                    ---------------
I think you had a question about the 7 nepali people who make up like the "nepali board" of the locally based NGO here in Nepal. I am not an expert on this, so do check this out, but to the best of my knowledge that magic 7 is a minimum number, composed of nepalis ONLY.  No foreigners can join. I think this explains to a large degree why some many foreign entities have elected to create an NGO in Nepal in one name registered here with the SWC and a separate INGO registered abroad - both basically bearing the same name. This way, the financials and purse strings will be more and better controlled by INGO in home country.
                                                                   ----------------
Most of the foreigners I know - friends too - prefer or have elected anyway, to help the nepali people DIRECTLY - on a person to person basis - which is their perfect right. This will be done on a smaller or more restricted scale, obviously, but people I am talking about will want to know WHO they are giving to and HOW the donations are being used?- this means they will select specific persons or groups as beneficiaries, one or more families, and give to those people. It's a totally different way of helping the local people in need here. These are personal relationships or ties with families that often go on for many years, and are followed up by yearly visits to Nepal, exchanges  etc.  Here no NGOs, no INGO's are involved.  No red tape, no complications.

Thank you Monica. Something to definitely consider.

Monica quite rightly pointed out the all important regulatory role the Social Welfare Council (SWC) has in all matters relating to NGOs (Non Governmental Organisations) applications which have to be submitted and the way they operate in Nepal.
That same SWC has just made the headlines of HT newspaper on August 29, 2017. In the article they published, it has come to light that SWC has just designated one nepali Health Foundation, whose name they give out, to use over Rs4 billion funding for a new project. So far so good, but then this same source claims that in any one given fiscal year, the SWC will typically receive no less than 1,500 such requests, with no apparent priority given to them.  So the news report raises the question as to why these others less fortunate applicants are kept waiting, whereas this one applicant has been given the green light so quickly, in a matter of days, they write? The HT goes on to say that "the SWC has been asked to clarify its move to determine whether this was done within the Social Welfare Act?"
And they add: "Officials refused to comment on the issues"

Expatriate health insurance in Nepal

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Nepal

Moving to Nepal

Find tips from professionals about moving to Nepal

Travel insurance in Nepal

Enjoy stress-free travel to Nepal