Bringing my basset into Maurtius from South Africa

i have been doing enquiries about bringing my dog into Mauritius with me - he is a basset cross and still young all his shots are up to date we have not had any rabies outbreaks for a long time. I am getting mixed  answers with my request and queries on quarantine. ? is there anyone who can tell me the actual way to do this with as little disruption done to the dogs life. the last I heard was if I bring him in via Reunion his quarantine is only 3 days.???

Hi I am in the same boat, getting mixed messages. Email me direct on : *** lets see if we can help each other! Cheer, Lance.

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : please exchange contact details in private

Hi there

I am dealing with a local company here in S.A. called Global paws they do international relocations, just waiting on response or you could google them as well.  www.globalpaws.co.za

Thanks I will do so.

i have submitted a quote to them - will keep you posted. what was the quaratine period you were quoted?

Hi, I was told 30 days!

Hi Kim, thanks. I am in Durban, so hopefully not too bad!

Hi

I brought my Labrador and 2 cats over 4 months ago.
The most important stuff needs to be done on that side and you need an agent to help you with that. I used Global paws also and they were amazing. The rabies injections and blood draws are probably the worst part and super expensive but it's all worth it.
It cost us R20 000 per pet in the end but having them here with us has made settling in so much easier.
The quarantine itself isn't the best place but the 30 days seems to go past quickly and before you know it they are home.
I went down from the North everyday to walk my dog. Took me around 50mins each way.

Please feel free to message me with any other questions
Regards Cara

Hi Cara, thanks, I will try Global paws. I am in Durban, hope they can help! Lance.

Hi Cara

Thanks for your post.
May I ask why the quarantine was not the best place?
Mistreated?
Bad staff?
Dirty kennels?
Can we place more than one dog together or do they have to be separated?
Also are they kept outside?

Thank you :)
Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

I agree with Cara, the quarantine is not the best, because it is quite old.  But it is kept clean and neat.

My two dogs were kept in the same, large kennel so that helped too.
The dogs are not mistreated at all and generally the staff is quite good and helpful.

Their kennel had a 'room' that had a roof and then an open space that had 1m high walls, the rest is a fence, but no roof/ceiling.  So a lot of fresh air.

You can take them outside into the garden area every day during visiting hours.  There they can play on grass and run around.

Regards
Alex

Thank you so much Alexandra.
That helps a lot 😊

Hi Alexandra,

Glad you love it over there, we might be moving to Mauritius early next year.

What did you pay for your two dogs' relocation and where they small, medium or
large breed ? We have two Beagle puppies that will have to come along :-).

Thank you,

Anton

Hi Anton

I have a Labrador and a Cocker Spaniel.  So a medium and a small dog. 

I think at the end of the day, the total cost was around R60 000 for the agency/paperwork/quarantine/transport costs.  And then about R10 000-R12 000 for all the vaccinations beforehand.

One tip I can give you is, start the process as soon as possible because they will need two rabies injections and two tests with specific window periods in-between.  If you need some names of agencies etc, I can send to you privately.

Cheers

Please can I have recommendations of companies used to bring pets from South Africa to Mauritius.  I have 2 dogs and a cat.
Many thanks

Hi I have been recommended to Global Paws 087 9970540.