How Extend Tourist Visa to Stay 12 Months

Hi there, how can I extend my tourist visa to stay in Malta for 12 months, I have monthly income from my business in the states, how can I stay legally in Malta? Currently Im in the states. Thank you

Please help

Welcome on Expat.com ethompson ;)

Did you contact the Malta Consulate regarding this issue? What did they tell you?

what passport do you hold ?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You cannot extend a tourist visa ( Schengen visa). You are officially allowed to stay for 3 months out of every 6 months .

You can apply for residency under certain terms and conditions. Check out some of the previous posts that cover the issue.

Regards

Hi Ricky - your comment is true in general, but it is possible to extend a tourist visa, but not easy. However, I'm aware of people who managed it last year.

Under EU law, its possible to get one 3 month extension, at the discretion of the EU country you are residing in, so you might manage 6 months, but not 12, unless you take up residency.

Hi George,

Thanks for the info. Does ' Not easy ' mean you need a really good reason for the extension? Or just a nice smile ?

Where would you apply for the extension ? Also at Castille in Valletta ?

Ricky

yep, same place - you need a very good reason - it seems extended holiday isn't good enough

you can read about one case on the following thread

britishexpat.com/expatforum/malta/viewtopic.php?t=9307

its a long thread, but shows you all the stages one person went through in trying, and eventually succeeding