One Bedroom Apt (Approx $300)

Good Day

Was wondering if anyone could tell me some of the better places on the island to look for a 1 bedroom furnished apartment at approximately $300, with 24 hr electric/cable/water, etc.  Peace/quiet and minimal to no crime would be nice.  Also, not on the beach (hence the $300 :-)  -- Lastly, I can walk to local store, supermarket, restaurant, i-net café etc. and that's pretty much it.  Would Puerto Plata and Cabrera be good places to start?  What are some others?

Any piece of advice would help.  Thank you all....

Just something to keep in mind. All over the DR, $300 no problem, however quality, security, electricity/internet/water 24/7 and beach location all have a price tag.  Colmados are everywhere but again, close to big grocery stores, pricetag issue.  You will have to decide what is the most important.  I personally don't know where you will find everything you are looking for in that price range.  Others might...

You can likely find something in Costambar (near Puerto Plata) some parts of Puerto Plata, maybe las Terrenas and Cabrera maybe.

For.sure you can find this in Santiago and Santo domingo.

Not likely to find everything you want so yes, prioritize.

Gotcha!  It's good to know that $300 can be found all over, and I'll just have to make my selection according to what's the most important afterwards. Are there any scams or I guess you could say.....anything I need to be aware of when it comes to signing a 1 year lease on such apartments?  Language barrier may come into play.  Thanks,

Mason

Ok great!  I will definitely prioritize--24 hour accessories are most important.  I've looked into some of those cities and I'll be travelling to see where I fit in.

Thanks,

Mason

What are some of the things to be aware of when signing a lease for this 1 br apt?  Language, fine print, etc.  Don't want to get stuck with a bad experience the first year there because of something I wasn't aware of in the least.  I'm basically looking for common overlooked items that expats encounter when signing leases.

Mason

I manage apartments and contracts so I can tell you to be careful.  Many agents offering longer term contracts will not give you back your security deposit.  They probably spent it by the time your lease is up.   You should ask around about the person you are signing with and see what their reputation is like and how long they have been around.  If you can't find out any information about them, then you have your answer.  Read other threads on this board as this question has been asked before.  Be sure that the person you are signing with has the right to rent you the apartment.  I am in the Punta Cana and Veron area and yes, even here $300 per month is doable.  The more touristy, the higher the price.  Touristy meaning, more secure, better quality, more reliable (less probability of maintenance, electricity issues etc.). 

Good luck and cheers.

Sir you answered everything that was on my mind.  When you said longer term leases did you mean a year? 6 months?  How would you define longer term.  Thank you again....

This is how I got my deposit back.  When it was time to leave, and I should have gotten it back, just as I had to give it to the landlord when I moved in, he said it might take some time and that I should remind him again.  So to remind him I showed up with a local friend of  mine, a real big black guy, and told the landlord that my deposit was owed to him, not me, and the friend nodded his head yes, with a demented smile on  his face.   No problem getting it.  But had I just wimped out and left, I would have never seen it.

That's the Dominican way...perfect!

Yeah, he wouldn't have dared trying to cheat the local guy.  Of course had to give him a tip for it, but well worth it.   I'll  do the same the next time too.