Crime rate

Darlene10 wrote:

Thank you for the info. I guess it is really not safe anywhere.

Well it's a matter of really pretty safe, relatively pretty safe , safe most of the time, safe some of the time, and Not a good idea.

I live on the south east end of Mexico which includes Campeche, yucatan, and Quintana roo down to Belize. Those places are pretty safe. So states  known to be more of a big problem like Chihuahua are what you want to be very careful with or avoid.

More north becomes less secure, but there are still places that are considered pretty safe there, with cities not far away that are not very safe. Places like SMA, & Coatepec in Veracruz state are thought to be safe. Veracruz  city is more safe most of the time. The border at Texas is usually the extreme end and  not very safe at all.  Near Tijuana is mostly safe.

Gangs, and territories are the issue. Tourists are usually left alone unless they get involved in risky behavior. Which is true everywhere in the world. The states/ cities most likely to be involved are Juarez city, Sinaloa, Chihuahua, and coahuila.  There are strong cartel ties in most of the east coast of the U.S. So that tells you how safe the U.S. is.

Pick a pretty safe place and keep track of whats going on. On the big plus side, there are no mall, school or church shootings, Due to drugs there was a incident at an event in Cancun. Drugs do that. In 6 years that is the only incident in Cancun I am aware of.

i live in juarez and on occasion hear gunfire in the distance. cops are everywhere here. including FEDERALES armed to the teeth. but i do not travel the city. i stay close to my apartment and when i do go out, either my son or my landlord takes me by car. dont trust bus lines.a friendly place, close to EL PASO. PEOPLE FRIENDLY EVERYWHERE.

travellight wrote:
Darlene10 wrote:

Thank you for the info. I guess it is really not safe anywhere.

Well it's a matter of really pretty safe, relatively pretty safe , safe most of the time, safe some of the time, and Not a good idea.

I live on the south east end of Mexico which includes Campeche, yucatan, and Quintana roo down to Belize. Those places are pretty safe. So states  known to be more of a big problem like Chihuahua are what you want to be very careful with or avoid.

More north becomes less secure, but there are still places that are considered pretty safe there, with cities not far away that are not very safe. Places like SMA, & Coatepec in Veracruz state are thought to be safe. Veracruz  city is more safe most of the time. The border at Texas is usually the extreme end and  not very safe at all.  Near Tijuana is mostly safe.

Gangs, and territories are the issue. Tourists are usually left alone unless they get involved in risky behavior. Which is true everywhere in the world. The states/ cities most likely to be involved are Juarez city, Sinaloa, Chihuahua, and coahuila.  There are strong cartel ties in most of the east coast of the U.S. So that tells you how safe the U.S. is.

Pick a pretty safe place and keep track of whats going on. On the big plus side, there are no mall, school or church shootings, Due to drugs there was a incident at an event in Cancun. Drugs do that. In 6 years that is the only incident in Cancun I am aware of.

I agree with your response.  Safety is relative; comparatively speaking I compare apples to apples.  In the US if you compare NY city, s. side of Chicago, or Watts CA to Mexico, the US is not very safe at all and you should migrate to Mexico!  Mexico has 31 states; it's a big place.  Looking only at the state of Yucatan Mexico and the city of Merida, it is the second most peaceful place in the world according to the Vision of Humanity statistical anaysis; Iceland is number one.  The Global Peace Index is a worldwide statistical analysis.  You can see detailed statistics on rape, murder, kidnappings, etc.  Viewing an entire nation, and the US state department travel warnings certainly helps, but it doesn't give anyone the "big picture", so to speak.

And the US still sells weapons to Mexican cartels. There have been 200 shootings since 26 children were butchered by the gunman at SandyHook elementary. We can't even keep our children safe in the US.

I feel just as safe(more so, actually) in any metro area in Mexico. I would not live in a border town for many reasons.

auntierie1 wrote:

And the US still sells weapons to Mexican cartels. There have been 200 shootings since 26 children were butchered by the gunman at SandyHook elementary. We can't even keep our children safe in the US.

I feel just as safe(more so, actually) in any metro area in Mexico. I would not live in a border town for many reasons.

At this point I suspect U.S. cartels ( yes the U.S. has Cartels) cross back and forth and exchange drugs and sometimes guns.
But all of the citizens here are not allowed to have guns unless they are very small guns acquired from the military and very controlled ( gun ranges).  More expensive and troublesome for the majority.

Only the U.S allows everyone to own lots of guns. I don't think the U.S. has a formal gun selling program any more. Some tourist do try to bring their guns over the border, and the guards, and police in Mexico keep them. It is a very clear regulation, guns are not to be brought over the border.