Preparing to make the move

Things have been a little sleepy here, so I thought I'd bring up the topic of preparation.

I have a house full of furniture and things that I have accumulated over the years. For the next few months I am tasking myself with reducing this stuff to a bare minimum.

Some things I am giving away, others are going to the swap meet, or for sale on Ebay. Some of my furniture may stay in the house, as part of the rental.

I'm shredding piles of papers, but it looks like I'll still need to hang on to some documents (US tax, real estate and so on).

I'd be curious if anyone has ideas, questions, recommendations, advice, experience in any of this.

Thanks!

How about donating them to charity as I'm sure you have items in good condition.

As over the years, Thais have you and now you give back to those who need it.

First question is - where is the house? Are you referring to leaving the US to come to Thailand?

I have some thoughts if that is the question. This is also an topic on the retirecheap.asia group club. There is an organizational packet from this site that is available, for a nominal price.

That's a start.

I am a big fan of cutting back whenever one makes a move.  I have friends who have moved to Thailand with one or even two containers full of their stuff.  If your goal is to try to continue your old lifestyle I guess is makes some sense but in my opinion one of the biggest advantages of becoming an expat is the chance to make a fresh start and jettison excess baggage from your life.

I came to Thailand with nothing when I was very young so I have no international moving experience but after thirty years in Bangkok I did move to Chiang Rai.  I left all my furniture in the condo I sold and, except for what I could fit in the truck, I started from scratch in Chiang Rai.

Thanks, Bill! The house is in the States, and I am moving to Thailand. Sorry if not clear.
I'm a fan of JC's videos, haven't joined his club, and I will check out the site.
I'm planning to go through a property management company to handle my house rental.

Ruffian Dick I am in a similar stage.  I have my house, in Oregon, on the market now. I have chosen a different path though.  I am only taking to Thailand what I can carry on my back. My laptop, a couple of days worth of clothes, my toothbrush and good attitude is all I am going to bring. The rest I will get when I get there. Best of luck to you man.

Thank you, Anchorman and all of you!
I wouldn't sell my place; the rent (minus mortgage) should be enough monthly income to take care of me well,

Everything can be worked out fine and beautifully. It just takes time, patience, and understanding, plus working on that learning curve.

Plus retaining real estate in the states gives you some additional benefits. Having a US address means that you can retain some of your financial accounts states side. Not having a US address complications some financial accounts. Some vendors may refuse service or continuation of the account with only a foreign address. There are a few other sticky details without retaining some kind of US address. Some of these electronic mail services may or may not be helpful with retaining a US address. Owning some Property eliminates some of the technical confusion.

If I have tenants in my house, I wouldn't want to expect them to look out for my mail; my sister lives nearby, and I think that I will "live" there instead. :)

I personally use an electronic mail service. I use one out of Florida. There are different companies operating in different states. With a mail service they can deposit checks for you. The only thing is if any check is any kind of income check, such as retirement, then the mail service has to comply with the states laws of where the office is, state tax's. Florida and Nevada has no state in come tax. I have no one to help me with the mail.

Compliments of the USPS a new twist arose. Unfortunately I will have to get back to you another time to explain.

The twist

Previously I thought that forwarding orders were for 12 months. It seems that USPS has now changed that rule to six months. That created a hiccup and challenge which I over came.

I rent my house out for four months a year during the snow bird season. The house is in an active adult community. That means that the tenant is not just renting the house but enjoying all of the amenities of the community as well, like renting a vacation. But dealing with the mail situation has become tricky. Oh yes, I have to stay here for 45 days before I can forward my mail again. Oh well, life goes on.

Bill, I've done a bit of that mail forwarding while on business travel within the states.
I'm sure the USPS has info on their site, but may I ask how they handle the extra postage for overseas forwarding? Thnx!