Some Newbie Questions please

cancel post

The plug looks right, Same as Europe.
US electronics run on 110v. We run on 220v but laptops are multi voltage as a rule so they should be OK. Not much else will be.
Indonesia isn't known for it's traffic laws being upheld. I would avoid driving if you can.
Electronics seem to be on a par with Europe but I can't comment on the US. Many things are far cheaper.

NUMBER ONE RULE.

Visit the local police station to report within 24 hrs of moving into your new home.
Anything else could get you a "Fine" (Bribe).

Any other questions?

Thanks very much.

Does this "notify police when you move into home." Does this apply to Bali? For rentals?

I drive for 8 months in Africa and survived. Can't imagine it's worse but may it is.

It applies to any foreigner in any type of residence.
If you're working, you'll get a KITAS, then you can get an SKLD police report card that is valid up to your KITAS expiry date.

Your driving licence will be useless here. You'll need a SIM A licence.
(I'm unsure about international licences).

http://www.youtube.com/user/paul62tiger … Okbcc-qUfAhttp://www.youtube.com/user/paul62tiger … -5QlRrMQfA

I see you're just up for a three month stay.
I'm unsure what visa you'll be on for 90 days.
A 30 day visa on arrival can be extended for 30 days without leaving the country but only once.

Cell phone. Telkomsel works well pretty much anywhere but expect poor internet speeds.
Prepay is easy but get the vendor to activate it for you.
Easier.
You should pay about Rp5,000 for the sim card.

Thanks again.
I don't expect my drivers license to be valid in other countries. I had an international drivers license in Japan and Africa, and the Indonesia Consulates confirms that it will be valid there. If I rent a car, it would be to do short trips with friends there. Luckily I'm a very skilled driver, even survived two elephant charges in Africa in my little tiny car. It was scary and wonderful. I love elephants.
Honestly, having driven in other countries amongst wild drivers, I'm not sure I'd trust another driver with my life.
What do you know about bus travel in Bali?
So nice of you to answer my request. Be well,
Cheyenne

I know bugger all about the specifics of Bali because I've never been.
My school may be sorting out a trip for the kids this summer so I may go one that.

Oh, are you a teacher too? I taught middle school some years ago and now work as a part time "guest" teacher in the elementary schools - K through 5. I love working with the kids in New Mexico. They are great fun.
Online, I found 2 wonderful schools in Bali that I will be visiting. Their approach to education very progressive and inspiring.
I hope you are able to go if that's your desire.
From reading some of your expressions, you sound British or trained in British English. Americans never say words like "bugger" but we love hearing all that British slang. And we find the "accent" (as we call it) completely enchanting.
Cheyenne

I'm Yorkshire lad. (That's the best bit of England)
I teach oral English at a school in Jakarta five, half days a week.
Nice little gig really and it leaves me plenty of time to wander around.
I'm a sort of demi tourist.