Crime in San Miguel de Allende

We are very eager to move to SMA. However, the last time we were there, 2 people told us not to walk around at night because it isn't safe. The articles we read in the US indicate a rise in crime near SMA and that local authorities do nothing if you are a victim of a crime. We are not the scaredy-cat types and understand that it is always wise to use common sense. However, we don't want to be trapped in our homes at night. We would like to buy a small ranch outside of the city and have indications that is even a more dangerous. Some sound advice from people who live there is welcome. Thank you much.

lreed0124 wrote:

We are very eager to move to SMA. However, the last time we were there, 2 people told us not to walk around at night because it isn't safe. The articles we read in the US indicate a rise in crime near SMA and that local authorities do nothing if you are a victim of a crime. We are not the scaredy-cat types and understand that it is always wise to use common sense. However, we don't want to be trapped in our homes at night. We would like to buy a small ranch outside of the city and have indications that is even a more dangerous. Some sound advice from people who live there is welcome. Thank you much.

Yes, you should talk to those living there, and I am sure they will respond quickly.

The U.S. writes very biased slanted articles about Mexico, so They are definitely not the best source for information. It is not legal for everyone in Mexico to have guns, which should tell you something right there. There is a massive drug problem in the U.S. Midwest, not the Mexican mid-west. Oh yes there are cartels, and at the borders that is something to be more alert to, but that problem exists because of U.S. drug issues.

The president of the U.S. wants to build a wall remember. I would suggest just visiting and renting, and seeing what you think.

Hi LReed,

I have been a resident of SMA for 7 years now. I was part of the bilingual Municipal Security Committee during Lucy Nuñez´s administration (former Mayor).

Here´s my take on safety / security in San Miguel....

1. No, it isn´t safe to walk at night outside of well-lit areas.
2. Muggings / assaults do occur both at night and during broad day light.
3. With SMA popularity comes a natural increase both in tourism and crime rates.
4. Some neighborhoods in SMA have higher rates of crime than others. Do your research before you rent or buy.

Recommendations: I tell all of my health insurance clients and friends to:

1. Take a cab anywhere after 9pm.
2. Consider taking an Uber or calling a local taxi service instead of cabs off the street. It´s safer!!
2. Always be aware of your surroundings.
3. Consider crime rates in the US when drawing conclusions.
4. Be aware that the US & Canadian media always play up violence in Mexico to deter people from visiting / moving there.

Hope you find this information useful!
Melanie

Which neighborhoods are the most safe? Are any of the safer neighborhoods in an area where homes are still affordable AKA in the $300,000 range? One more question, are people safe inside their own homes for the most part? Is it mainly street crimes or are people fearful in their homes? I cannot afford to live in Centre but I want to get as close as possible. Any insight and advice is welcomed.

[Post under review]

Oh thank you so much for your excellent reply. I am so excited to come to SMA in December and see it for myself. It looks and sounds like exactly what I want in a community.