What to expect when moving to Romania

Hello everyone,

Is there anything you wish you had known before moving to Romania? For example, transportation, internet speeds, types of housing, aspects of the culture or social life.

In your opinion, what's the most important thing to know about Romania?

When would you recommend someone should begin planning their move to Romania?

What were the most helpful ways you found to get organised? For example, did you use a checklist, were there any particularly useful websites or apps?

What advice would you give to future expats preparing to move to Romania?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Diplomatically Speaking.
I went to Romania for a PhD in international law Bucharest university 2005 after being late 1 month to PhD applying .
That made me not able to apply at law school cause of lateness and u wen to oltical science.
So I advice expats to go early to be able to apply their documents in time.
Secondly
Regarding weather ,I didn't know that -35 degrees is that cold for middle eastern Egyptian national.
The beauty if Romanian women was higher than my imagination :)
Being a foreigner in Romania is too difficult to be swallowed by Romanians.
The ability to make an import and export company or any company as a resident in Romania.
I discovered that too late.

The ability of practicing law for law graduates in all the eu countries if the lawyer knows the language of the country.

The ability to move in schengen Europe even if Romania is not a schengen member .you can apply for a visa
Not visitng Moldova which is a country that speaks the same Romanian language ,you can check about it as they were one country before.
I wished I knew about communism mentality on a society and the effect of sudden democracy Changes.
My golden advice to expats and they should take it like a bible is that
"Romanians can put you in a legal matter and makes fake declerations on you just for them to escape their cases
Using the option of the law nr 16,18 from the penal law that says :
"Any one sentenced in a drug case of consuming or Intermediating,dealing ext..
Can inform by deceleration on any person can escape sentence to be suspended from penalty" and I have seen many cases made on foreigners.by their friends or by police to resell that option from the law to other sentenced convicts who pays police to get someone who replace them.and unfortunately this is happening with French,dutch,germans,
Italians extr..
And u can check the European union human rights hudoc cases and read.
So never ever get involved with crazy Romanians  otherwise you will end up in jail by a fake deceleration and being used as a foreigner who don't speak their language.
Words that don't exist
Morals they don't know about morals and god fear and Oriental methods .
In Romania scamming some one is smartness not thefting.
Romanians will suck information about you.
Will consume with you all your resourses in a fun party mode way.until you don't have no more u won't find anybody around may be 2 from 15.
Adding to that romanians are funny party people who don't care too much about morals dir to communism effect.

Cute Social vampires :)

Even though it's a heavenly nature looking country that you will wish to live in

Corruption in Romania is a tradition and a way of life.
All governmental authorities in the country adding to all business making culture as in a mix of corruption together.
Its ending this days  and the war against corruption started In 2015

I can tell about ac I lived fr 2005 to 2016 non stop with no vacation to country of Origin Great Egypt.

I've thought long about this question, and a complete response would take quite some time, I might add to it over time :)

In short, I'd say to expect frustration.  Getting things done that would be simple tasks in other countries, can be a big deal here.  Incompetence and poor work ethic and poor management is widespread here.  I've been in country over 10 years, and still feel frustrated regularly, especially after I've been on a trip outside the country and get a reminder of how much easier things can be :)  Also I find local behaviors and mindsets frustrating, so many people seem resistant to progress, so many people lack respect, willing to cause an accident just so they can get where they want 30 seconds faster, or willing to cheat you out of an extra few RON...just for laughs.  It's sad to see so many people put their own interests in front of the common good, which actually might serve their interests in the bigger picture.

Is it really true ?? What if you can't speak Romanian language ?? Gosh.  Now I'm afraid to go there  :(

I lived in Romania for about 6 years and Romania was not part of the EU then. I started a business there, but yes the laws and rules were at least open to interpretation, and yes there was and still is corruption.

When I first stepped out of the plane in Bucharest it was like going back at least 50 years compared with the UK, but were the 50s really so bad in the UK?

The real difference was that they were 50/60 years behind in many ways but equal or ahead in many others, especially internet and communication.  Their education was also much more superior than many EU countries and still is.

The real difference is generation, with the younger generation still being influenced by the older.

I am back in Romania now, and I expect it's the place I will stay, but the laws are still really unclear, what works for one person may not work another.  Under EU law I have a right to stay here, even if there is a Brexit I have, but does not mean that the person seeing my papers will agree. And that's the real problem!

The people, in general, are honest, trust worthy and very friendly. The language is a problem but many younger people do speak English so you can always over come the difficulty if you're willing to try.

I have friends that live just 50km from Bucharest, they still keep a pig to slaughter at Christmas and do it themselves, even though that is outside of EU law. Their water still comes from wells, and their toilet is a hole in the ground. But it's normal there, and was is no different than you would have found in most countries years ago.

It's a beautiful country, with beautiful people and all you need, is to go there with an open mind and understanding.

I knew a bit about my city and had some social connections that eased the transition. When the train pulled into the station I thought: "Ah, I'm home."
I had some minor transition bumps. But those social connections helped me get a contract that enabled me to get a permit to stay for a year and an updated apartment (at a modest upcharge, in my opinion).
I'm not much of a social animal so that my circle of friends is not large. Someone my age is expected to be playing chess in the park or taking the grandkids for walks, not singing bad karaoke at the local rock club with young people and eyeing the young ladies.
As a retiree with a reasonable pension and a  thrifty lifestyle I have no money worries. I am reluctant to expose my income level, but when I threw out a number there was a nod of approval.
I have no intention of entangling myself in legal/tax situations so I will not be buying any property.
I'm learning a few words of Romanian, and it seems to be enough, as many of my acquaintances speak passable English and many are pleased to practise with me.
I do some volunteer work to occupy myself.
I live in a very walkable city and take the bus for longer distances or a taxi if I am running late. 
The only things I have missed are the convenience of Wal-Mart, familiar supermarkets, thrift stores. That said, I have chosen to be here of my own volition and this is their country, their culture, their traditions, their laws, and their language and it is up to me to adapt to them, rather than the other way around.
Good luck in your transition.

Very well said. There are things that can be frustrating to deal with back in the US too. Many incompetant people working for the government both on local and federal level.