Close

What to expect when moving to Nepal

I hear you. God knows what's going to happen to this country after you leave and get back safely to Europe? All I know is that, being so short-sighted, the people in charge of the rudderless ship have no vision of the future - absolutely none. So it is just a matter of time as to when the tidal wave you mention will come? The people I really feel dreadfully sorry for are the poor who of course account for the greater segment of the country's population. They have already suffered enough hardship as things now stand and they deserve a better life. They are being dealt a raw deal.
If I may say so, I think you are doing the right thing, to go now and not wait. The tidal wave will come soon enough.

And just in further protest, I'm going to eat a ham (beef) burger every day for a year.  :)

H O L Y  C O W !

Speaking of the holy animal, we can say that one of the differences therefore between Nepal and a country like Switzerland is that in Nepal - as everyone knows - it is strictly forbidden to eat cow meat here but cows are totally allowed to block traffic in city streets - whereas - in orderly Zurich, you can eat cow meat but you can bet your bottom dollar that their presence in city streets will never be tolerated by the police there!
Other animals in Nepal are not so privileged. If we are to believe the Daily Mail, some 300,000 animals  or more, are killed every year to bring worshipers good luck, mostly goats of course, but also buffaloes and even birds.
The greatest outcry from the rest of the world, therefore outside of Nepal, continues to be voiced over the annual bizarre (to most westerners) ritual of the killing of a female goat at time of 900 year old Khokana Festival. That day an unfortunate female goat is thrown in a pond and torn apart until it dies while it is still alive. Barbaric and back to the times of Moses too. 
These little tidbits of information fit in nicely with the topic here of "What to Expect When Moving to Nepal"

And I didn't even mention wet bathrooms. I mean really, 21st Century, and I had to get a contractor to install a rod for a curtain for a...wet bathroom? In the 21st Century? Oh, guess I just did mention the wet bathroom, silly me.

Cows are holy yet they're "all" emaciated. Dichotomy goes well here. Meanwhile every five years, the peaceful Nepalese turn in to the barbarians they truly are by killing (sacrificing) 5000 water buffalo and not for consumption. Just for the sake of killing, I mean sacrifice. In addition to another 200,000+ animals over a five day period. I'm getting hungry; think I'll mosey into Thamel to K-too for a cow 🐮 filet burger 🍔 tonight. I'll just call it my kill- er sacrifice burger. Holy and all hand in hand with this "Shiva" business. A figment just as Jesus or Harvey the 🐰.

Well I will continue to read the posts here but I guess I've kicked this dead horse - I mean cow all I can kick it.
Foremost regards
DT.

Over everything that's already been said here about energy production or lack or it, it's really hard to believe that according to CS Monitor dot com, this Himalayan nation of Nepal - sandwiched between India and China - has sufficient (undeveloped) water resources - but nevertheless the actual potential to generate 80 times the electricity it needs today - and this according to a generally agreed estimate. CS Monitor then goes on to estimate that Nepal's full potential of electricity production is 83,000 Megawatts.  But in the century since construction of the Pharping Hydropower Station, they add - Nepal has only been able to harness 900 Megawatts notably due to reasons of instability, cost and corruption too.
No wonder then, that the press is now reporting that those in charge of NEA have to buy more electricity from India, and renew their current contract, in their best effort to forestall any power shortages in Nepal this winter.

What this tells me is that to-date, Nepal has only used its vast potential of water resources to produce electricity to the extent of a paltry 1%. We can legitimately ask ourselves how long will it take for this nation to develop the remaining 99% of those untapped resources? Another century? In the meantime, this country just goes on and on to buy electricity from India, year in and year out, which only serves to deepen even more its already very alarming trade deficit. A real scandal really, because with all those God given vast water resources, Nepal should by this time be a net exporter of electric power to its neighbors, instead of an importer  of that precious commodity.

And it cannot be said that they haven't had the time to develop those direly needed natural resources. They've had 30 years to do it. The consumers themselves cannot do it - The country's leaders must.
With no planning and no vision for the country's future, we can legitimately ask how many more decades it will all take for any meaningful development to take place? People are waiting.

Not a pretty picture of alarming proportions about AIR POLLUTION on a grand scale has just been brought to public attention  here in Nepal by Priyanka Adhikari, who just used these words to describe the situation when she reported the following in the HT newspaper:
"Relentlessly increasing air pollution in Kathmandu VALLEY is proving to be a peril to the health of its inhabitants, calling governmental agencies to recognize the situation as a public health emergency. The air quality of greater Kathmandu is deteriorating with each passing day and the population do not know when or if any improvement in the quality of the air they breathe will come? No longer a general topic of conversation as it's all posing serious threats to the health of the general public"
The air in the rest of the country - remote mountain areas and all - may be better, but with omnipresent air pollution coming in cloud formations from India, the situation is not that good either according to well documented sources, and all based on air samples from those various areas.

Think you are right, Bartonursula. They are now saying that if Lumbini has such high levels of air pollution,  1.5 times higher than in Kathmandu, it is due authorities believe to dust and pollution from cement factories located in neighboring India. Exactly what you thought.

I am hesitant about moving to Nepal from Germany now. It's now been confirmed that voice communications system control tower directing air traffic at Kathmandu's only international airport of Tribhuvan (TIA) is disfunctional. Ongoing problem for one whole month already, and still not fixed. My nepali friends are saying the air controllers are using some sort of back-up system but nobody seems to know when this control tower transmission system will be fixed. I had heard about not so good runway conditions, but this is a bit much for me. I had planned to come mid-february. Think I'll just postpone for now, anyway.

I see the airport from my rooftop terrace and planes are coming and going fine, so far. I spend much of the days up here and all looks fine, no circling around or delays for our guests.

I just had my assistant call the airport directly. The man who answered the phone  said there was no problem. He was unaware of any problems. There is a 5 hour or so time difference from Europe, but here are a couple of numbers. We called the second one.
General Manager +977    01-4113261    
International Terminal Management Section    +977 01-4113163

I hope you get to come to Nepal. It's really lovely here. If I can help you in any way just let me know.

I invite those interested to read the article published in the Himalayan Times issue of February 5, 2018, headed:
     "Month on, TIA fails to fix voice communications system Control System"
and draw your own conclusions. The HT is a highly regarded newspaper in this country and known for the serious nature of its reporting, as well as for its accuracy in reporting facts as they know them to the public.

It was my dream to retire in Nepal. I don't know, now.

I lived in Thailand for 5 months, first. I really enjoyed it. I never got sick with minimal precautions and public transportation was cheap and plentiful. I may end up back there after a couple of years.

I can live with the many problems mentioned above. Even the lack of public transportation is not that big of a deal with me. The main issue is water safety. That issue effects so much. I don't mind physical hardship. But, I hate being sick. After 2 months of learning how to live here, I have been sick only once, when trying a new restaurant. But, I feel like I am under siege.

The lack of clean water effects so much and determines the quality of life. I am determined to stay 2 years studying Nepali. After that . . . ?

If I stay, I guess I could open a guest house. I don't really want to run a guest house. And, I don't need to make any money. However, doing this would give me total control over hygiene in my own little Nepali fortress.

I really like the people here. I have made some great Nepali friends. I have also been able to help some other Nepali people. $100 goes a long way here in making a difference Even more important, I think, is my American optimism.  "Have you tried doing it his way?" "Did you notice that that situation presents you with this opportunity.?"

I read about a week ago in the Himalayan Times that they want a huge increase in tourism. The continued lack of safe drinking water and, consequently, safe food will greatly limit the increase in tourism.

Until they address this situation, progress in Nepal will grind to a halt and the world will forget the country exists. Putting up with all the other problems can be a hassle. But, if your reward for doing so is diarrhea, people will go elsewhere.

You are absolutely right. If this number one problem of safe drinking water is not solved, Nepal will grind to a halt and the world will forget the country exists, like you say. Here everything seems to take a goon's age, witness the Melamchi Water Supply Project to bring safe potable drinking water to Kathmandu, which still isn't completed. That project was started in 2001, and ordered to be completed by 2007. Going on two decades later, it appears that this project may be nearing completion. It will bring 170 million litres of water per day. Problem is that after all this passage of time, authorities readily also admit at this point that they now need TWICE as much or 340 million litres to meet the growing city's needs, presumably due to big population growth in intervening years. If that's true, the city of Kathmandu will need a second Melamchi pretty fast!
Agree with you, too, on importance of safe food of course.
You omitted to mention, the other major problem in this country, the polluted air. As you are a reader of the Kathmandu Times, I would refer you to the article published a month ago, which states "Air quality is deteriorating with each passing day and proving to be a peril for the inhabitants here"
I too read that report that they want to attract as many as 2 million tourists two years from now. We can all hope they will achieve this one day, but in the meantime, official tourist arrival figures to Nepal show they haven't even reached the half way mark of 1 million, to date, in last 5 years or ever. Read: 940, 218 visiting tourists in 2017 to be exact - Ambitious goal.
As for going into guesthouse business here, if you say your situation is such that you really don't have to, don't want to, why do it? Nothing easy about going into business in Nepal, I can tell you that!
Besides, you'll need to invest no small change and have all the hassle of getting a business visa to boot. Why have headaches when you can avoid them!? But your decision, I respect!