What to expect when moving to Kenya

Hello everyone,

Is there anything you wish you had known before moving to Kenya? For example, transportation, internet speeds, types of housing, aspects of the culture or social life.

In your opinion, what's the most important thing to know about Kenya?

When would you recommend someone should begin planning their move to Kenya?

What were the most helpful ways you found to get organised? For example, did you use a checklist, were there any particularly useful websites or apps?

What advice would you give to future expats preparing to move to Kenya?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi,

I wanted to know about election & violence.

we couple are coming in November, how will be assumption about election scenario? does it affect to visitors?

Hi ,

Am a Kenyan in the Capital Nairobi and i can assure you its safe to visit and tour the country the only thing you will have to know is to keep off from the local politics ,i beleive you can understand even from your country of origin politics is always hot but all in all nothing to be scared .You are welcome

There wasn't any significant violence in the election on August 8th, or since. 

However with the result of the presidential election being overturned and a re-election on 17th October, Kenya is in uncharted political territory.  Whether the result of the re-election will bring violence, who knows.

Its unfortunate that foreigners associate Kenyan elections with violence, when there has only been one election with significant post election violence and that was almost 10 years ago. 

During that time, no visitors to the country were targeted or harmed and contrary to international reportage, the entire country wasn't involved.

Thank you so much, great.

@Longonot62 from your comment i do doubt if you are actually living in Kenya. Most Kenyans know what happened in Kisumu since August 8, i am sure i do not need to spell it out now do I? The thing is, Kenya is safe as long as you (as a tourist) will stick to the tourist destinations. Once you try to visit the less touristic areas one needs to be carefull....very careful

Insecurity (as far as politics is concerned) does NOT normally affect expatriates in Kenya. It is largely a local thing.
You will of course suffer mobility challenges when protestors block roads, or malls are closed, but no one will personally do you harm. I have never seen it happen.

Even the much publicised Kisumu unrests are largely a matter between the locals and police. NOT tourists. Kisumu people are very friendly to ousiders (riot police don't enjoy the same privileges 😆😆)

However, when it comes to common crimes such as pickpocketing, violent robberies, snatch & run etc,  be always careful. Those are poverty-induced crimes and you are on your own.  Better walk with a local who is your friend and can give you pointers on what to watch out for.

no election violence as such.. things are calm and peaceful.. looking forward to the upcoming season of business