What to expect when moving to Austria

Hello everyone,

Is there anything you wish you had known before moving to Austria? For example, transportation, internet speeds, types of housing, aspects of the culture or social life.

In your opinion, what's the most important thing to know about Austria?

When would you recommend someone should begin planning their move to Austria?

What were the most helpful ways you found to get organised? For example, did you use a checklist, were there any particularly useful websites or apps?

What advice would you give to future expats preparing to move to Austria?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,
I lived in Austria since March 2016 and my moving to Austria was really easy. The laboratory where I am currently working organizes all the administrative things to do. I think its works like that. Your employee gives you your contract. Once it is signed, your employer sends all the information to your insurance company (there are different companies in Austria so you are assigned to the one of your employer). For me basically, I had nothing to do. I just search for a flat. The only thing that you have to do  is the residence registration for the "Meldezettel" and if you plan to stay more than 3 months you have to make the certificate of registration "Anmeldebescheinigung". For me it was really easy. I am a European citizen so if you are not from Europe maybe you will have to do more things. The life in Vienna is really nice and not so expensive for capital city (after it always depends from where you are coming from :)). Don´t hesitate if you have more questions,
good luck!

I've been in Austria 8.5 years, as I'm also an EU citizen it was easy for me to move over. With my other half being Austrian she was there to help me make the move over the easiest as possible. As she had an apartment already I did not need to do an searching, which was a joy.

Do you need a check list? It doesn't harm having one, I guess if you have more paper to bring and fill out regarding visas ect.....

If you are moving over for the first time, it's best that to find a cheap B & B or Hotel to stay in first and then look for a flat. The landlord's here like to see you first, and never by say so via an Email.

As soon as you move, then you can get bits and pieces as you go along. As I have made Austria my permanent home, I buy things as when I need them.

Any answers on this one.....
My wife and I in time to come want to live in southern Austria and buy a lower price property that needs work.we are in our early fifties.   We are from the uk but not sure where we stand regarding Brexit (uk leaving Europe). I work as multitrade which is best I can discribe as I do so much and Im also self employed, semi-skilled meaning no qualifications. My job in the uk is in serious demand and also as I've noticed same in Bavaria which leads me to think Austria too. My wife works in schooling as a teaching assistant. She speaks no Austrian currently although I do but struggle to read it.
To add to that my mother (no longer around) was Austrian so that gives me Austrian blood as I'm half Austrian but does it contribute more to becoming a resident?