Close

What to expect when moving to Argentina

Hello everyone,

Is there anything you wish you had known before moving to Argentina? For example, transportation, internet speeds, types of housing, aspects of the culture or social life.

In your opinion, what's the most important thing to know about Argentina?

When would you recommend someone should begin planning their move to Argentina?

What were the most helpful ways you found to get organised? For example, did you use a checklist, were there any particularly useful websites or apps?

What advice would you give to future expats preparing to move to Argentina?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Be ready to deal with inflation in Argentina . By inflation I mean to say 40 % inflation annually. Also be ready for surprises like sudden fall in currency. Learn at least basic Spanish words else its difficult to survive here.

Apart from economic situation and language barriers, I don’t see any issues with the city. The climate is moderate ( its neither freezing cold nor too hot).The labor laws are good so in case you are moving here for employment , be assured that you will be paid for every single minute you work extra beyond your normal hours.The food here is not tasty if you come from Indian sub continent but you will find few local Indian restaurants .For Europeans and North Americans , there is no big problem with food as they would be comfortable eating Argentine food (mostly meat) without spices (I mean zero spices).

Renting an apartment for outsiders is another challenge here.People ask you for a guarantee . Guaranty can be given only by a local person who has a property in Buenos Aires so its difficult to find one. There are other options like banks who provide gauranty though. Other option is to go via brokers who would charge you one month of commission.But again be read for increase in rentals every 6 months due to the inflation which I mentioned earlier.

Security wise I did not find much issue if you are staying within Capital Federal.But be cautious at night in remote areas and outskirts of the city. Recolleta ,Palermo , Puerte Madero are some of the best and safest places in Buenos Aires to live.

Good thing is that the city is beautiful, people are friendly, public transport is good and very cheap (both buses as well as subway). You have taxis easily available.

Hope you enjoy your stay here :)

Get ready for PERMANENT HIGH INFLATION such that prices are totally unpredictable and rise DAILY.40 inflation's a joke..that's just on supermarket prices.Go try to buy anything outside supermarkets and anything can happen.I just left there after 10 years for the above reasons.Argentina's super-ricos have always controlled prices from above,and they ADORE INFLATION.When the 98% need credit or go under,the super-rich get even richer.This includes,of course,after a total collapse like that in 2000.Argentina's economy is CONTROLLED, RIP-OFF CAPITALISM.There's basically NO COMPETITION,since wholesale prices are controlled from above with the total cooperation of any govt.Be fore-warned.

40 per cent inflation

Expatriate health insurance in Argentina

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Argentina

Moving to Argentina

Find tips from professionals about moving to Argentina

Travel insurance in Argentina

Enjoy stress-free travel to Argentina