Long term social visit pass

My wife and I are Australians who want to come and live in Malaysia for 12 months (not working).  We just want a 12 month break from working and we love Malaysia.  We enquired with the Malaysian Consulate in Melbourne and they referred us to the long term social visit pass.  However, when I checked it on line it appeared to be for partners of Malaysians (spouses) and family.

Is anyone able to give me a clearer picture of if this is possible or if I should be looking at another type of visa?

Thanks so much for your assistance.

There is no visa for 12 month stays. People either get the MM2H residency visa (10 years) or leave the country for several days once their tourist stay period (90 days) has nearly run out and return (immigration turn a blind eye to a couple of trips done like this). The LTSVP is for spouses of Malaysians or certain types of dependents of those on a work visa.

Thanks for the assistance.  Just didn't want to commit to 12 month lease and then find I cannot get back in if I leave.  Cheers

Yes Gravitas is right, just pop down to Singapore or Thailand for a day or two after your 3 month Visa expires and come back for another 3 months and so on. I lived in Malaysia like that for years before applying for something more long term.

Andy,

What you want cant be done, though its certainly been tried.  And, the Long Term Social Visit Pass sounds so inviting, doesnt it? An oasis in the desert! An end-all to problems! But in fact, its an ugly thing thats really the opposite. It reminds me of a prisoner in jail being told he is going to spend a week in the Rose Garden, or going on a Summer Retreat, and the reality is solitary confinement, full of electrically-charged barbed wire and no food.

To answer you, yes its possible you could leave to Thailand for a weekend on a visa turnaround, only to have trouble coming back in. Actually, if there was trouble, they would most likely let you in but only for 3-5 days on a pass that forces you to go straight to the Enforcement Office to plead your case and if you fail to convince them, you will be quickly packing your bags. There have been extremely few cases of someone being barred from entry, or even detained at the border, but it has happened. That said.....let me think....a year is three times the 90-day pass... I think you're good. Its a chance i'd take.

Also....be warned about a trap thats far too easy to be mentally tricked about. You come on a 90-day pass and in the middle of that, four weeks in, you take an overnight trip to Singapore, just to see it and you come straight back. Your brain thinks you are still on your 90-day pass, it was just a little side trip, and nobody was watching or cared anyway. NO, you just blew off and wasted the remaining 60 days of that visa and you start all over. Now your year has been cut by two months, just so that you could finally taste a Singapore Sling. You can rightly claim you had the worlds most expensive drink!

The government has myriad types of visas at their disposal but its doubtful they would help your case unless you are a diplomat. They have a Professional Pass, under which you come for six months to check out the country for potential business expansion, and I think that could be re-newed. They also have Medical Tourism passes but you have to be doing a medical procedure. They have Student Passes, you could enroll in school, get the pass and never attend. That might actually be an option.

I certainly understand you and I too have been in that space of wanting to park myself somewhere for a year and chill out and on the belief I can simply GO. But something must slap our faces to awakeness to say, youre mad! whats wrong with you! wake up! If this were only a few years ago it would be easier to answer you. Today, its just getting tougher all the time, and expats are scurrying to and fro trying to figure out anything helpful.

If I were you....hmm..i would just come. You have ample time, you get at least a few turnarounds without problems and who knows, you might 1) hate the place and prematurely run away screaming in madness 2) figure out a way to stay longer, like a Student Pass. 3) plain be lucky and slip through three trouble-free passes and be on your way.  I estimate your chance of success in this at 90%.

The Immigration office offers no firm answers or help. You only know what can happen when you apply for something and either get approved or denied. You also get a glimpse in here by people who are living the problems but even for us there are no guarantees of anything. My overall advice to you is just come, work on problems as they arise, if any!