Hello everyone! Lots of advice needed!

Hi guys!

Thanks for reading!

I'm a 32 year old English guy living in London and working in a very stressful job taking emergency calls for he ambulance service.

My grandad was born in Mauritius, and now i think it's time I came to the sunshine!

I am looking for general advice on what to do to get settled there.

I am lucky - I have family I can stay with while I find a job and have enough for airfare - is it as simple as gettting a return flight over and then looking for work and either staying when I find a job or coming back on the return flight if I couldn't find a job?

Any advice greatly appreciated many thanks!

You're young. Come and try. A return ticket is compulsory. You can renew your tourist visa from 3 months to 6. It'll give you enough time to see what it's like here.

Unfortunately it's not that easy...... I've been trying to get settled for a few years now,  it's not all about sunshine, it's a whole different lifestyle and culture.  What I have been doing is going back every year for at least 3 months, built a house, made friends, got contacts for work and am quickly adapting.  Take your time, it's a great idea but don't need to rush.

Hey guys thanks for your replies.

So if I come on a tourist visa and happen to get a job whilst on holiday - what happens then? Is it a problem to get a job on a tourist visa??

I have just sent you a private message!!

Vedan wrote:

I have just sent you a private message!!

Please can you message me some advice also on this

If you are on a tourist visa, you can't apply for a permit.

You will have to leave (in the event that you find a job) and enter again on a business visa. I'd assume that you have read about conditions and salary levels that are mandatory for Work / Occupation Permits for foreigners.

Instead of asking for Private message, would it not be more beneficial to all members if advice was posted publicly. That's the aim of the forum I'd believe.

Hi there if your grandfather was born in Mauritius you can apply for ancestral  citizenship. That should take about a year. It's much quicker if you do it yourself.

Patriciaprepok wrote:

Hi there if your grandfather was born in Mauritius you can apply for ancestral  citizenship. That should take about a year. It's much quicker if you do it yourself.

Incorrect !
It has to be one of the birth  parents

Hi, have a look at this page, it concerns new legislation for Mauritian Diapora:
http://www.diaspora.mu/government.aspx

Hope it helps.

Now that is very interesting, thanks for posting.