Close

How to transfer money out of Vietnam?

I'm an EFL teacher looking to move to Vietnam in October.

I'm hoping to save a lot of money in Vietnam and transfer it back to the UK whilst still working in Vietnam. Does anyone know of the best way to do this? I've read that it can be difficult to transfer money out of Vietnam.

Thanks in advance!

Following

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/transfer … hew-lourey

Can't verify validity, but it's worth looking into.

Looks like the link is under review.  Just google the topic and read the article on linked in.

If you can prove where you get your money from - wage slips, work permit, contract of employment etc, it is fairly straight forward to transfer money out of Vietnam if you have a Vietnamese bank account. Ideally, your employer should pay your wages directly into your bank to avoid 'confusion' over where your funds have come from.

I notice you are from the UK; please note that Citi Bank in Vietnam cannot transfer money to RBS in England - no one has ever been able to explain why, even though they used to be able to.

If all else fails, you can go to almost any gold shop on 'gold street' (Ha trung) and they will transfer money for you while you watch and wait. It should be noted that these transfers are illegal but it is common place non the less. They are usually cheaper than banks as well.

Expatriate health insurance in Hanoi

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Hanoi

Moving to Hanoi

Find tips from professionals about moving to Hanoi

Travel insurance in Hanoi

Enjoy stress-free travel to Hanoi