How to transfer money out of Vietnam?

I'm an EFL teacher looking to move to Vietnam in October.

I'm hoping to save a lot of money in Vietnam and transfer it back to the UK whilst still working in Vietnam. Does anyone know of the best way to do this? I've read that it can be difficult to transfer money out of Vietnam.

Thanks in advance!

Following

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/transfer … hew-lourey

Can't verify validity, but it's worth looking into.

Looks like the link is under review.  Just google the topic and read the article on linked in.

If you can prove where you get your money from - wage slips, work permit, contract of employment etc, it is fairly straight forward to transfer money out of Vietnam if you have a Vietnamese bank account. Ideally, your employer should pay your wages directly into your bank to avoid 'confusion' over where your funds have come from.

I notice you are from the UK; please note that Citi Bank in Vietnam cannot transfer money to RBS in England - no one has ever been able to explain why, even though they used to be able to.

If all else fails, you can go to almost any gold shop on 'gold street' (Ha trung) and they will transfer money for you while you watch and wait. It should be noted that these transfers are illegal but it is common place non the less. They are usually cheaper than banks as well.

ScriptShack wrote:

If you can prove where you get your money from - wage slips, work permit, contract of employment etc, it is fairly straight forward to transfer money out of Vietnam if you have a Vietnamese bank account. Ideally, your employer should pay your wages directly into your bank to avoid 'confusion' over where your funds have come from.

I notice you are from the UK; please note that Citi Bank in Vietnam cannot transfer money to RBS in England - no one has ever been able to explain why, even though they used to be able to.

If all else fails, you can go to almost any gold shop on 'gold street' (Ha trung) and they will transfer money for you while you watch and wait. It should be noted that these transfers are illegal but it is common place non the less. They are usually cheaper than banks as well.

Hello, can you explain a little more how the Gold Shops transfer money abroad ?  Can you post a map where these shops are please

Better to use Google maps. Here are some addresses for the jewellery/gold shops in Hanoi;
Thinh Quang: 91 Ha Trung
Quoc Trinh: 31 Ha Trung
Shop at 31 Ha Trung
All are located close to Hoan Kien lake area.
In essence, you hand over your cash and they will transfer it to your bank account in the UK for you for a modest fee. Funds usually arrive within 24 hours, depending on your bank.

Please note: I have not used these services myself but do know many that have, without any problems at all.

ScriptShack wrote:

Better to use Google maps. Here are some addresses for the jewellery/gold shops in Hanoi;
Thinh Quang: 91 Ha Trung
Quoc Trinh: 31 Ha Trung
Shop at 31 Ha Trung
All are located close to Hoan Kien lake area.
In essence, you hand over your cash and they will transfer it to your bank account in the UK for you for a modest fee. Funds usually arrive within 24 hours, depending on your bank.

Please note: I have not used these services myself but do know many that have, without any problems at all.

Gold shop would need to transfer to bank in Thailand - it sounds weird that they are able to transfer to your bank just like that but thanks a lot for the info - I appreciate it

They basically do an online bank transfer on your behalf, through there own account and you can see the process. They should be able to transfer funds to Thailand as well.

ScriptShack wrote:

They basically do an online bank transfer on your behalf, through there own account and you can see the process. They should be able to transfer funds to Thailand as well.

Do you have any knowledge if gold shops in Danang do the same as in Hanoi ?

Hi,
I am also looking for gold shops to transfer funds outside Vietnam.
Do you have any idea of their services charges ?

Are you trying to avoid the UK finding out about your earnings abroad?

If so, bring cash, you can put probably 100 million vnd in each sock, 100 million in your back pocket, and 100 million in your front pocket, metal detectors won't detect cash, and most airports here hardly use the new machines. (or make this all easier, and convert it to USD or GBP or something so it all fits in one pocket.)

If you're worried about bringing cash, then gold is your best bet.

If you don't care about the UK seeing your money, the obvious answer is a wire transfer.

I don't think you read the OP properly. The question was about transferring money earned in Vietnam to the UK. No point taking VND out of the country because no one will exchange it for GBP.

You can convert it to USD here with decent rates lol.