Airline tickets & Visas

Hello again!
My family and I are preparing for our move to C.R. in October, and have the following questions:
- Will there be any issues if we only purchase one-way airline tickets from the U.S. to C.R.? They are cheaper, and we don't plan on returning to the U.S. for a visit until at least May. I had read somewhere on an older blog, that C.R. customs sometimes required foreigners to have round-trip air tickets.

- My wife will be accepting employment as a teacher in C.R. and i will be working remotely/online. I understand that she will be able to procure a work visa in C.R., but will we need to obtain any type of visas, etc. in the U.S. before leaving?

Thanks, I appreciate everyone's help!

As a non-resident, the airlines can refuse to allow you to board the plane if you do not have proof of travel out of Costa Rica within 90 days.  I recommend that you purchase 1-way fully refundable tickets back to the USA at around 80 days out, and then you can request a refund after arrival in CR.  You will still need to leave CR within 90 days, typically a short trip to Nicaragua or Panama.

Thanks Redbeard!

It is not your wife that must procure a work visa, but her potential employer on her behalf. If she does receive one, note that if she is 'laid off or quits her work visa is no longer valid and she must leave the country. Also she can't have a work visa and Temporary Residency status at the same time, if you are intending to apply for residency.

Be very careful/wary on employers who promise this, then don't follow through.

We were not allowed to board the airplane until we purchased return tickets. This was when we had applied for residency and produced the paperwork to prove it, but it still wasn't acceptable by the airline.

Working legally in Costa Rica
Work Permit Requirements for a Specific Occupation

We have an acquaintance that made it to Costa Rica with a one way ticket (the airline let them go) however she was returned to her point of origin by Costa Rica Migracion.

Thanks Kohlerias, very helpful!

I entered recently with a United ticket inbound and  Southwest return. Both United and Immigration demanded to see it. SWA allows me to cancel and reschedule within 12 months then credits the value of the cancelled ticket to the later ticket. This is using a cheap nonrefundable ticket.

On my return from the States two months ago, the airline in Florida held me up until I could prove that I was a resident.  They were not going to allow me to board with my one-way ticket.

- Expat Dave

Buy a one way ticket back from Costa Rica right before you leave. (like a few hours before)
Then when you get to Costa Rica, cancel it (you are allowed by law to cancel a flight within 24 hours ).
As long as you cancel it within 24 hours you are good and your airline will allow you to board and CR will allow you to enter the country.
Then when you get here, past Aduanis (Customs), cancel it and get your refund.
My wife and I did this and many others have done it. it works. Just show your airline your one way ticket back to the US (any airport in the U.S.) Buy a cheap ticket JUST IN CASE, but I really don't think it can be a problem.