Now what?

Well, we're here, waiting for Immigration to tell us if they're going to approve our residence cards. In the meantime we are getting used to life in Budapest. I'm wondering if any retirees out there have any ideas about how to spend day to day life. We plan to see the sights and travel a bit, but there's a lot of down time in between. Not really meeting many people. Would like to have a few multi lingual friends to spend time with and practice the language! Ideas?

Some of the bookstores have groups to read Hungarian books or authors' work in English.  There are some groups that meet to practice English.   There is a group in Szeged, too.  If you visit there. My closest friends are people I met at yoga classes, cafes and restaurants casually and continued friendship. There are many people retired in Hungary, especially BP so you might create a monthly meet up yourself.

jdatbs wrote:

Not really meeting many people. Would like to have a few multi lingual friends to spend time with and practice the language! Ideas?

"And whereas you might be raring to get more practice speaking Hungarian, a Hungarian is much more likely to be interested in practising their English or German."

The above from, and more, at the "Mistakes expats make in Hungary" thread:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=664356

I am semi retired and I think that question, now what?, could be asked in any country. It took me well over a year to adapt from the business of full time work to having a lot of time to myself. I even took on a little local part time job to use up some of my spare time and to increase my social contacts over the long cold and dark winter months. I find that I do not have enough time left to do all the things I wish to do.
If you follow the local press and social media you will find a full programme of social events in Budapest and the larger cities and towns. In addition there are many groups and societies many with English speaking classes and members.

There are a few groups on Facebook and elsewhere (Internations) for expats in Bp.
There's always things to do here no matter what age!