Close

set up own web sever

Hello Folk

I am thinking to set up my web server to can access any time anywhere and store some documents, and same time any number of user can access to my sever.  There for I have several questions before I start following us.
1, Do I need powerful PC? If yes how will be the Ram and HDD?
2, PC requires DVD or CD room?
3, Can I use my public internet to create the own server?
4, Is there any place I can get assistance in Saigon to set up the sever?

Will appreciate your advice.
Thank you.

Hi,

Have you considered Dropbox/Google Drive or similar web apps?

If you are looking at your own private cloud, you can consider Synology's Nas. I used it myself and it's pretty good. Setup can be abit daunting if you are not IT trained though.

Hope this helps
Rain

You better ask this question on a Technology (IT) forum.

Coll-wing :

... can access any time anywhere and store some documents, and same time any number of user can access to my sever.

Given your requirements, why bother about setting up a web server?
Just go Cloud. That's all.
All big names provide 24/7 cloud service. Some are free (limited space) while others are more secure and fast (@minimum rental fee).
To start with, use Google Drive and keep your files ''public''.

Hello all

What I need to create an individual profile on my system, Example I am in Vietnam, and another is the USA but I will be the admin, so the person in the USA creates his profile in my system, but just with limited function he/she can access Just like a vendor portable.

Hi Coll-wing,
What do you want to do in detail?

I've been selfhosting myself for 10 years (emails, websites, torrents, filesharing, and so much more). I have even a blog about it (freedif.org) but I don't write anymore since I don't have much time anymore (or I don't take the time haha).

I do usually most of it on my own computer under a personal connections (I have few servers there and there, but I mostly used my own one at home).

Depending on what you want to do, you will need more or less power.

For example, I am the admin of mirror.freedif.org, a VN official mirror for few projects. The most popular being LibreOffice for example. If you download LibreOffice, you will probably get it from my server.

I'm using Fast60M to power it up and will go to more expansive package with FPT at the end of the moment, with their 1GBPS connection is all goes well.

For me, being selfhosted is not about being cheap or so, but it is for the learning experience, privacy, control of the data and it is blasting fast on local network then ;)
it's also fun ;) but takes time.

If you need help, feel free to reach out.

PS: If it is just to share some files, no need for a powerful one. Ideally you need:
1) A computer (with may be 2GB of Ram, can go for a cheap CPU like atom or so it is fine, and the needed hard-drive space. You need to share a lot? 500GB? 1TB? or not much? 250GB?...). No need for CD/DVD player. The installation will be done with a USB key.

2) A domain name (yourdomain.tld), easier to access. Will cost between 5 to 15 USD.

3) An internet connection, ideally with a static IP (not changing) or if with dynamic IP, you will need to use something like ddclient to refresh the domain name info with the IP everything it changes
https://freedif.org/host-a-server-on-a- … main-name/
Most of public got a dynamic IP, so you need DDClient or similar to update your domain name info.

4) And install the system (Linux Debian?) and configure it. Or go for simple, use a pre-configured system like Cozycloud (https://cozy.io) or Yunohost (https://yunohost.org/#/) to have it configured already with several apps, a web interface, etc...

dudumomo :

Hi Coll-wing,
What do you want to do in detail?

I've been selfhosting myself for 10 years (emails, websites, torrents, filesharing, and so much more). I have even a blog about it (freedif.org) but I don't write anymore since I don't have much time anymore (or I don't take the time haha).

I do usually most of it on my own computer under a personal connections (I have few servers there and there, but I mostly used my own one at home).

Depending on what you want to do, you will need more or less power.

For example, I am the admin of mirror.freedif.org, a VN official mirror for few projects. The most popular being LibreOffice for example. If you download LibreOffice, you will probably get it from my server.

I'm using Fast60M to power it up and will go to more expansive package with FPT at the end of the moment, with their 1GBPS connection is all goes well.

For me, being selfhosted is not about being cheap or so, but it is for the learning experience, privacy, control of the data and it is blasting fast on local network then ;)
it's also fun ;) but takes time.

If you need help, feel free to reach out.

PS: If it is just to share some files, no need for a powerful one. Ideally you need:
1) A computer (with may be 2GB of Ram, can go for a cheap CPU like atom or so it is fine, and the needed hard-drive space. You need to share a lot? 500GB? 1TB? or not much? 250GB?...). No need for CD/DVD player. The installation will be done with a USB key.

2) A domain name (yourdomain.tld), easier to access. Will cost between 5 to 15 USD.

3) An internet connection, ideally with a static IP (not changing) or if with dynamic IP, you will need to use something like ddclient to refresh the domain name info with the IP everything it changes
https://freedif.org/host-a-server-on-a- … main-name/
Most of public got a dynamic IP, so you need DDClient or similar to update your domain name info.

4) And install the system (Linux Debian?) and configure it. Or go for simple, use a pre-configured system like Cozycloud (https://cozy.io) or Yunohost (https://yunohost.org/#/) to have it configured already with several apps, a web interface, etc...

Thank you for your information and it might help me lots.

Expatriate health insurance in Vietnam

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Vietnam

Moving to Vietnam

Find tips from professionals about moving to Vietnam

Travel insurance in Vietnam

Enjoy stress-free travel to Vietnam